Fuel pump runs continuously- 92 Jeep Cherokee

Anyone know what would cause my fuel pump to run what seems like, from the sound, continuously wide open? When I start the jeep I can normally hear it for a second or 2 while it comes up to pressure then it runs quietly. When it is acting up I hear the loud noise continuously. The last time it quit working completely. I have replaced my fuel pump 3 times and each one has done the same thing. I have also replaced the fuel filter and relay. I have not replaced the pressure regulator. Could this be causing the problem? I have a 92 Jeep Cherokee L6 4.0L

4WD. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Rick

Reply to
Rick

Get a fuel pressure gauge and check the regulator.

Normal is 214 kPa / 31 Psi Fuel Pressure Regulator line disconnected 269-283 kPa / 39-41 Psi

lower than 31 then it's either the pump or the regulator. Only way to check is with a clamp kit. Never use clamps on the factory fuel line.

Reply to
DougW

Hey Rick,

I had the same "noise" problem on my '92 Cherokee. Ended up replacing the fuel pump and the noise went away. Noticeable difference. Had my mechanic do the job, ran about $230 parts and labor I think. Gary

Reply to
Gary