CJ vs. YJ

Other than the front fenders, hood and headlights, what are the differences in body parts? Are the tubs, tops, etc interchangable?

Is there somewhere we can see a list of interchangable parts?

Reply to
tclutts

I think the whole lot is different !

Dave Milne, Scotland

Reply to
Dave Milne

Not even the driver is interchangeable.

Carl

Reply to
Carl

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

I guess what I need to know right now is will a 82 Hardtop fit on a 95

tclutts wrote:

Reply to
tclutts

Yes. You may have to tweak the rake of the front windshield a bit to make it line up nice but otherwise they are pretty much the same.

The tubs and doors and windshield are interchangeable with the odd extra hole needed/not needed here and there.

Mike

Mike Romain

A CJ top fits on a YJ, a freind's son rolled his YJ, so my freind went out of town and bought him a used one, when he came back with it I said that wont fit, it's from a CJ, ( exactly the same as my 81 ) sure enough it fit fine. Not sure what year his YJ is, but I think if it fit one it would fit another. Also seats from a YJ bolt right in nicely to a CJ, even my narrow track, sure nicer then the cavelier seats that were in mine when I got it. Don't know what else is interchangeble, except bell houseing, clutch ect. from a TJ all bolt right up and work fine on an 81 CJ 4.2.

Reply to
Greg

A ---CJ7--- top fits a YJ.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

I know from experience that a YJ body tub will fit on a CJ7 frame, but you have to alter one body mount location on the passenger side.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

There are very few interchanglable parts among the YJ and CJ. I think they share a few screws and nuts & bolts, but that's about all.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

No. The raked of the windshield is different, therefore the tops are different.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

The rake adjusts easily. Well.... Mine does, I have to change it for the hard and soft top fit. I would start soaking that torx in the roll bar adjuster slot for a few days with penetrating oil first....

Mike

Mike Romain

This is just not true... if anything there's more stuff that DOES fit than there is that doesn't:

Hardtop Softop (and all other tops) rollbar (pre squared 93 I think) ALL DOORS Tub Windshield frame ALL HINGES (sans the little mirror mount taps on the CJ otherwise identical) Engine Ignition system Fuel system/Intake (not emissions but some of that will work too) Grill will swap Hood will swap with grill Tail lights Tailgate from a CJ will fit if you tap holes for the hinges seats and brackets the dashes can be swapped with minor modifications Steering setup can be swapped into a CJ (powersteering converison) Leaf springs from a YJ are commonly swapped into CJ's (minor fabrication) for ride quality improvement and Spring over axle lifts

There's plenty more.

Reply to
Simon Juncal

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

My 87 has a hard top and soft top off an CJ. Sure you have to change the rake . But it's no big proublem. You could change out the front grill hood and fenders .Not sure why but the tubs are the same. Thats what the guy at Willy's Overland told me.

Later Mike

Reply to
Mike chambers

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Putting round headlights on a YJ is a type of posing.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Reply to