fuel tank capacity

But then they could not charge you for an upgraded, larger tank that holds exactly the same amount as the standard, smaller tank.

They will always find a way to get a few dollars more.

Larry

Reply to
Retiredff

How true, I forgot the other side of the matter, the revenue!

Reply to
nrs

It's a double slap too! They get to leave 'out' a part, the ball valve 'and' charge more for the sucker.

LOL!

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's - Gone to the rust pile... Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view! Jan/06
Mike Romain

It uses the same amount off the top as the bottom, and you won't have as much air to condensate water. God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

As I recall from my snowmobiling days in Northern Vermont and side trips to Quebec we never passed a gas station or a bar. :-)

Reply to
Frank_v7.0

That be a cafe racer in my old Harley days. God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

Ya mine is like that and it's quite deceptive in the sense that for the first 100km, I feel like I'm driving an aerodynamic hybrid. Then once it's back on the 15gallon reading I realize I'm back to driving a cinder block on rollerskates.

But for awhile I feel like I'm a champ!

Reply to
griffin

On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 09:56:38 -0400 in rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys, Mike Romain wrote,

But then, you /enjoy/ cleaning crud out of your carb after sucking the dregs from the very bottom of 'new' to you gas tank..

Reply to
David Harmon

Ya know, I always wondered about that. The pickup tube is at the bottom of the tank. Never moves. Most people say that crud collects on the bottom of the tank. Seems like it'd suck the crud up no matter how much gas was in the tank. In support of this, a couple years back we had a local station get a bunch of water in thier tanks during a larger than normal snow storm. I drained full tanks of gas outa 3 different vehicles that refused to run on the water that collected on the bottom of a full tank.

-- Old Crow "Yol Bolson!" '82 FLTC-P "Miss Pearl" '95 YJ Rio Grande BS#133, SENS, TOMKAT, MAMBM

Reply to
Old Crow

On my diesel , the worry on an empty tank isn't pulling crud up from the bottom of the tank, but running the fuel pump dry, since the fuel lubricates the pump.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

'My' fuel pickup has a sock on it and always sucks from the same place near the bottom of the tank. If there is crap there, the amount of fuel in the tank makes no matter.

If there is enough crap to plug the pickup sock or screen, I want to know about it 'now' so I don't get screwed way out in the bush some day running low on fuel.

'Usually' I also do a tune up and oil change on them shortly after buying which also 'includes' a new gas filter.

The only time I ever get 'crud' in my carburetor, is if I run dry on gas and don't have a prime available so it has to crank and crank which 'can' suck charcoal bits out of the charcoal canister and deposit these in the float bowl.

If I have my normal gas can on board, I prime the carb first which prevents this.

On a FI vehicle, this is moot.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's - Gone to the rust pile... Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view! Jan/06
Mike Romain

"Tracie" wrote

They must've changed the spec sheets in later years, 'cause I have a

2006 Wrangler X and my spec sheet does say 19 gallons. However, the manual states that when the 'low gas, dummy' light comes on, you have approximately 2 gallons of gas left. I have intentionally travelled as far as I have dared around my town with this light on (never more than walking distance from a gas station if it quit), and even when I fill it, I have never been able to put more than 17.5 gallons in it. So I am not sure if the gauge reads wrong, or if the tank is not really a 19 gallon tank.
Reply to
Kate

More likely, it was some kind of government requirement or an attempt to increase gas mileage. The trick on the web sites suggest that the vent hose was long enough to airlock the tank at the lower level - wish it was that simple on my Comanche! Even I can manage the effort to cut off a rubber hose.

Reply to
Will Honea

Snowman seems to stalk MikeR and always try to point out anything he doesn't agree with. His posts always seem to be right after Mikes.

Recently he said "BTW, if you want to restart this fued I will tear you a new one ... Your little more than a BSing troll with abig EGO problem. TheSnoMan.com"

Clearly, to most of us, MikeR is more than a BSing troll... :-)

But when he talks smack about something like this gas tank capacity issue, and is proven wrong again, he doesn't post back. Huh, I wonder why?

Matthew '82 Cj-7

Reply to
matthewf_boi

Another thought. Do you just stop filling when the nozzle shuts off, or do you fill the tank all the way?

-- Old Crow "Yol Bolson!" '82 FLTC-P "Miss Pearl" '95 YJ Rio Grande BS#133, SENS, TOMKAT, MAMBM

Reply to
Old Crow

FYI: I ran my '06 Rubi dry early on and found the 19-gal tank actually holds 20 by topping off. And the 'low fuel' light means 4 gallons left, since I can get 16 gallons in right then.

So, others should be the same, depending on factory weirdness...and how deep your tank dents are. :)

dougk

Reply to
dougk

I do not know about you guys but my gas tank is 19 gallons on my 99 TJ. I know that because when I fill up my jeep it takes little under

19 gallons of gas.

99 wrangler 31 inch good year mtr tires warn M8000 winch 2.5 lift skyjacker shocks a lot of lights (winch,hood,bumper, wind shield) Even more toys to come

Some people have an addiction to drink... Some people have an addiction to drugs.... I just have an addiction to Jeeps and their accessories....

Here are a few pictures of my rig

Jamie Mello