S10 Fuel Sending unit does not fit in Tank

Can anyone help!! I have an 86 Ext.Cab 4x4 S10 w/ 2.8l V6 fuel Inj. truck. The Stock 13 Gallon tank has several holes in it, so I decided to replace it. I went to the local salvage yard and picked up a 20 gallon steel tank that came from an S10 but no one knew what year it was and it did not have the Fuel sending unit. No big deal tank was $10 and I thought my old Fuel sending unit would fit. I got home and my old sending unit and locking ring are too small for the opening in the new tank, also the overflow filler tube on the old tank is on the sending unit and the overflow tube on the new tank is built on to the tank. Can anyone please tell me what sending unit I need to get for this tank?? I called several of the local parts stores and none of them could tell me. Thanks again for any help!!!

Reply to
abalkenhol

Autozone stinks, but the online catalog is a handy research tool. the 13 gallon tank uses SPI sending unit FG16B, and the 20 gallon tank uses FG06E. I cross referenced from 1986 all the way to 1991, for all V-6 engines. .LMC shows just one sending unit for all 20 gallon tanks, for the same period. It isnt till the much later years the diagrams show the vent on the tank as opposed to the sending unit, like 2000 to 2004 model year.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning