Gas Tank

I had an interesting thing happen to me at the gas station.. I had read about the mods to the gas tank to get the extra 5 gallons.. Make a 15 gallon tank to a 20... Well.. Thinking about it as I was gassing up the Jeep..I wondered if I could fool the vent so I had an idea.. Instead of going full throttle in filling up.. I pumped in about 10 or so gallons then eased off the trigger.. I was going real slow but going.. First was 12 gallons.. then

13.. then 14.. and I thought.. yeah.. it will kick off around 15.. But nope.. 15 then 16 then 17.. I kept looking for gas to run out of the bottom of the Jeep... It stopped on 17.82 gallons... It was cool... But it took a long time to get there... Thought I would pass this along...

Ben

95 YJ 2.5L
Reply to
Ben

Just curious ...why did this work? Is it because of the splashing in the tank? Does some of the gas get a chance to settle somewhere in the lines? I don't know much about fuel systems so I'm kinda curious. I'll go try this one day when I feel like blowing a paycheck filling my CJ to max ;p

griffin '85 CJ7

Reply to
griffin

The vent blows bubbles back up to the top of the filler tube. The nozzle has a little vacuum hole that senses these bubbles as a full tank and shuts off.

Mike

griff>

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

I do this with my 97 all the time, works great; but if I keep filling, it will start coming out of the bottom.

Reply to
Sleestak

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

You can fill at full speed, then shake the crap out of your Jeep, and repeat until you get the dome at the top of the tank filled.

Reply to
CRWLR