Gearing question 1999 TJ

Just bought my first Wrangler. I love it but after getting used to it I'm thinking that its geared awful high. I hardly need 5th gear. This is what I know:

Tires: 30x9.5 R15 Trans: 5 Speed manual

5th gear at 2000 rpm = 60-61 mph (as read by two different GPS units) When speedometer reads 60 mph GPS reads 56-57 mph Door Tag indicates that the stock tires were 205 75 R15

My calculations suggest that the gear ratio is in the neighborhood of 2.97 but lowest I find reference to is 3.31

The indication that the speedometer is reading faster than actual speed while running on larger than stock tires would suggest that the speedometer was re-geared.

Does 2.97:1 gearing make any sense to anyone?

Reply to
WayneC

I can't say for sure about a '99, but my '04 had a 3.07. That sounds about right. You could also look for a metal tag on your rear differential cover. If its still there and is legible that will give you your gear ratio.

Reply to
Frank_v7.0

Tag is completely illegible. Did your '04 come with 205 75's? How much trouble is it to change gears? I was a hydraulic mechanic by trade but I'm not a master auto mechanic for sure.

Reply to
WayneC

I had thought about changing the 3.07 to a 3.73, but since you would have to change the gearing in the transfer case as well as the differential it was too expensive for me. Way beyond my limited wrench turning ability and the quotes I got put it out of range for my budget. I eventually traded it in on an '06 with 3.73 gearing. :-)

Reply to
Frank_v7.0

You lose me here. Re-gearing the rear diff requires matched gearing for the front end but the only change to the transfer case is the option to change out the speedo gear - a one-banana job.

I suspect that the quote you got was for both ends and that is a challenge. Any change in the differential gearing really requires considerable experience and some unique tools to get it right. Not a shade tree job, by any means. Even the parts cost surprises a lot of folks. On my MJ, it was cheaper and faster to visit the local junk yard and pull both axles off a wrecked XJ. Bonus was that the replacement rear end was a D44 instead of the stock D35.

Reply to
Will Honea

So for a '99 TJ what year axels will work? 97-06? or will later axels also work?

Reply to
WayneC

Like so many politicians I "misspoke" I meant front transfer case. My bad.

Reply to
Frank_v7.0

Good grief I can't even type what I mean "front differential". Total senior moment times two. :-)

Reply to
Frank_v7.0

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

I'd make some smartass comment but I forget what we were talking about.... ;-)

Reply to
Will Honea