Newbie question

I noticed on Jeep.com the SE comes with the 3.73, the X comes with the choice of 3.07 or 3.73, and the Rubicon comes with the 4.11. When it comes to axle gear ratios what are the pro's and con's 3.07, 3.73,

4.11. TIA Brian
Reply to
56

They usually relate to the tire size. The Rubicon comes with the largest tires and has the lowest gears. That keeps the power band of the engine right for the speedometer speed.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: N>
Reply to
Mike Romain

As far as I can figure out, there are no pros for the 3.07. It is designed to make people believe, that they are getting better gas mileage, because the engine is turning slower, at cruising speeds for example. However, the engine turning slower does not automatically equate to better gas mileage. On the contrary, if you cruise at too low an engine speed, you will lose mileage. Many people have complained, that the 3.07 makes fifth gear unusable or at least not useful.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Hi Mike. I just looked at your album. Nice! What part of Canada are you in?? I am in eastern Maine. I have Image Station, with a few pics of my 91 yj, if I can figure out how to get it on here...lol

jack

jack
3.07s are a pain - at motorway speed 70mph in 5th has little power and you have to downchange to 4th for going up hills and watch the cruise control doesn't bog. Fitting 31s means that 5th is useless but 4th works much better. 3.07 is a mistake DC should have corrected before now. My mileage with 31s in 4th is the same as the 29s in 5th, and my speedometer now reads 1mph below what my GPS thinks. As our trucks are limited to 55 or 60mph, I can cruise along at 60-65mph, get decent mileage and not get in anyones way.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Milne

I am in Ontario Canada. Most of those runs (there are a mess of 4x4 albums in the link on the bottom of the view page) are of folks from this newsgroup.

Here are direct links to the other RAMJ+W newsgroup runs: Aug/01

16/02
Aug02
03
04
Trip Misc.
build
Mike

Mike Romain

Thanks for the responses from everyone to my question, Good info to know before buying! Nice pictures on the internet Mike and Jack. Brian

Reply to
56

Hey Jack... Nova Scotia is just across the pond from ya...we have lots of great trails...come on over, we'll be happy to take ya "Jeepin"! Even better come join us at the Jeep Jamboree in the end of June...

trail vidz
Jeff

Reply to
4X4PLAY