generic questions about jeeps

I'm considering buying my daughter a jeep (Wrangler) to use at college so she will have something that goes in the snow.

Unfortunately, I have no experience or knowledge about the different models, engine sizes, what to look out for, etc.

I'm thinking of something in the 01,02 year range. I want a 6 cylinder and hardtop.

Could some of you fill me in on what to look for, what to stay away from?

Thanks, Rut

Reply to
rutledj

If your concern is safe travel in snow, a Wrangler might not be the best choice. The short wheel base and high CG can get away from you pretty quickly, especially with an inexperianced driver. I tend to drive my Cherokee more than my Wrangler in the winter. (This opinion based on the fact that I live up four miles of dirt road, and a quarter mile of driveway in Vermont.)

Reply to
Jeff Lowe

Reply to
RoyJ

Gotta agree with Jeff (X2) Longer wheelbase would be better for a young driver in winter climate. Now... about the room in the back.... > so she will have something that goes in the snow.

different

cylinder

Reply to
john_r357

As the others have said, Wrangler (TJ) might not be the best best for what you're looking for. However, if you do decide to go with one, then it doesn't really matter which model. There's the base model, sport model, sahara model, etc. The higher the model, the more features (foglights, etc). Otherwise, it's either a 4cyl or 6cyl and u seem to have decided that already. Aside from that, put good winter tires on as this will make a huge difference!

Reply to
griffin

Reply to
Jeff Lowe

There are only two engine choices, 4.0L 6 cylinder and the 2.5L 4 cylinder (SE only).

For the 6 cylinder look at all but the SE. In order of price: SE, X (not sure if available in 01, 02), Sport, Sahara, Rubicon (03 ?), each package having increased options.

For best performance in snow, look for the optional Dana 44 rear with limited slip rear end available in the Sport and Sahara (Rubicon has 44's front and rear with lockers).

Reply to
JimG

Just to add my own humble opinion to what others have said here, the short wheelbase of a Wrangler can be a challenge for an unprepared driver. Short wheelbase vehicles can get sideways in a hurry on slippery surfaces at speed and once sideways will eagerly roll over when they find the next little patch of friction. On the other hand, if she's planning to only do local trips in the winter at less than highway speeds this is less of a worry.

Since you are looking for a hardtop you clearly aren't planning for her to go pleasure driving on a fine spring day with the top down and the wind in her hair, so consider getting her a 4WD Cherokee instead. The longer wheelbase yields better directional stability in slippery conditions and better overall driver comfort, especially on long trips. I think that the Cherokee has better leg and shoulder room, and more comfortable seating.

Find one with the transfer case that can be switched from 2WD to "Fulltime

4WD" for iffy road conditions like heavy rain and "Parttime 4WD" for truly nasty slippery conditions and for better peace of mind -- for her and yourself. The rear bench folds down to provide acres of cargo room for end-of-semester trips home and many came with roof racks. Gas mileage from either model will be roughly comparable, so fuel economy isn't an issue here. The fuel-injected 6 cylinder engine is a well worked-out workhorse that should give you excellent service with reasonable upkeep like regular fluid and filter changes.

I know that you are looking at newer models, but beware that once that engine system gets past 100K miles _ancillary_ equipment like the cooling system and fuel pump has reached its design life and you should expect overall maintanence costs to rise to about US$1500/year -- if you have everything done by a shop. On the other hand anything else over 100K is going to cost you the same amount, too.

I'd watch for square cut-outs in the front plastic of used Cherokees. This indicates that it was a towed vehicle behind some mammoth camper. It has seen a lot more road (and road dust) then would seem apparent.

And remember that in a vehicle to vehicle contest, mass is often the deciding factor and bigger is better.

-- "I defer to your plainly more vivid memories of topless women with whips....r" R. H. Draney recalls AFU in the Good Old Days.

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

Thanks to all for your suggestions. I may take a closer look at the Cherokees.

Rut

Reply to
rutledj