Cowbells and Jeeps

As I understand it, the origin of people putting bells on motorcycles and Jeeps comes from Jeepers awarding a cowbell to one of their group who has rolled on the trail, both as a badge of honor, and a warning to others. I was awarded by bell by older friends a long time ago. Do any of you have any info to either support or dismiss this legend?

Reply to
Paul Calman

It's true but not just for rolling. It's "awarded" to those who have done something to deserve it (always in good fun!) like doing something a little recklessly, almost running over your spotter, doing anything that might give a club an excuse to hang a cowbell on your Jeep as a good-natured "look out here comes Paul!" I think they're cool, I hope to get one on my Jeep some day lol!

Jerry

Paul Calman wrote:

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

heh.......ive never heard that but its funny!

somebody should give this guy 2 bells:

Nathan W. Collier

In the Fire Service we had an annual award given every December to the Fireman who performs the bravest (stupidest) action during the preceding year.

It is a bronzed pair of underwear.

(no, I never won it)

Reply to
Billy Ray

I carried the cowbell for our club for about 2 years - precisely for the reason you suggest.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Was that the same rollover (backwards down the LH-Turn hill) you did in front of me at LCIR? Or was that for a DIFFERENT rollover heheh. ;)

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

The reason i mentioned that is that it transferred to motorcycling years ago in the form of the "crash bell" . This has become considered cute and been commercialized, and stories of the bell driving off 'crash gremlins" or some other BS have been going around. Someone I know wrote about this "legend of the bell" on her web page, and got this email.

D'Pirate Distributing. the serial #76175966 and registration #2590947 with the United States Patent and Trademark office...please give credit or remove from site. thank you, susan bean, owner, D'Pirate"

Mrs. Bean will be receiving quite a few emails at snipped-for-privacy@bikergoodies.com asking her to "give credit" where it is due. -- Paul Calman, Hathaway Pines, California

Reply to
Paul Calman

Jesus Christ, Jerry! How should I know? ;-)

My co-driver that day says that was the Event. I have only actually rolled all of the way over once, but I have parked on the side a few times.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I'm not sure if it drives the gremlins off or not, but the specators tend to gather like flies at a picnic.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland