The more you learn about jeeps....

Hi all.

A few days ago I was having a browse of road tests for cherokees and something caught my eye. according to the equipment list, my 95 cherokee should have a keyless entry, but I dont have a key fob for one. Unable to contact previous owner, so I popped down to my local friendly(ish) dealer who took my vin and offered to print out all the stuff fitted to my car at new. When the price for this turned out to be free I decided not to quibble and ended up with a 3 page print out with items such as :

CFMS Seat - Rear folding

YGGA 9 Additional gallons of Gas (Ive checked throuout the car and have been unable to locate this item)

But sure enough there it was:

GXMP Keyless entry remote.

the dealer said they could get one but it would be £80, and would need programming to the car. does anyone know where I might get one any cheaper. would a 'generic' one do, and also is programming something I could do myself. (on my wifes car, you have to reprogram when you replace batteries in the remote, but all you do is hold down the unlock button then turn the ignition on and wait untill the car locks then unlocks). If its a simple reprogram then I was thinking of trawling the dismantlers for one, but I have never seen one, so wouldnt recognise one. Perhaps some one could post a picture of one for me please?

Next item to set me thinking is

DHAS Torque Converter -lock up.

Is this some sort of automatic thing (no pun intended) at speed, or is it something I can select, or how do I check if its working?

Mike

BTW, the printout came up with this:

VIN: 1J4FJB8S1SL

1:built by chrysler corporation J:Jeep 4:Multipurpose passenger vehicle F:4001-5000# (1815-2267kg) GVWR & hyd. br. J:Cherokee 4x4 left hand dr/right hand dr (europe) B:4 spd auto trans europe 8:sport utility 4dr S:4.0L I-6 gasoline (mpi) -unleaded (ERH) 1:check digit S:95 L:Toledo assembly #1 (Toledo, O.)

If you are not the owner from new then I would recommend having your local dealer do the same for you. It might enlighten you (it did me!)

Reply to
Mike

Jim85CJ

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

I removed the right door panel to install a rear view mirror and found a factory build list for my 89 charokee listing all available items with a "X" in boxes to the items I have.

JoBo

Reply to
Jo Bo

Cheers Bill.

Reply to
Mike

look on ebay for the remote starter fob.

Reply to
mtbmike

If you have power windows and locks as well as the overhead console, ALL 95 Cherokees have remote entry even if it was not purchased new. The down side is that it is light controled like a TV remote which hits that dome thing in the console. My Country with tinted windows is a pain, The remotes work poor at best. They are very expensive when compared to the wireless ones. Ebay will work but expect to pay $50 for a used one. Cool to have but a pain to use....To program it you have to do some weird things but can be done in 1 minute.

Reply to
flannery