Getting a smooth ride on a 79 CJ5

I have a 79 CJ5 that, when I bought it used several years ago, was 100% off road. It had a very stiff leaf spring suspension. I use it just in town, and to get a smoother ride, I took 2 leafs off of each wheel, and the jeep runs a LOT smoother and sits an inch or two lower --which I don't mind for safety's sake. But it's a funky set up --I bottom out on small potholes and one day I'm afraid one of those overworked leaves is going to give out. Are there leaf spring sets for the CJ5 that will give it a relatively soft ride but do it in a professionally engineered way instead of the funky way I've done it?

Thanks for any help.

Dennis

Reply to
mypublicmail

Hi Dennis, Make sure you have the stock four inches of travel before your axle hits the bump stops, re-arc or add one of your leafs for that height, then buy a new set of shock absorbers. God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.net wrote:>

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

A professional spring shop can find/make you just what you need. Check the yellow pages for 'auto truck springs"

Reply to
billy ray

Reply to
RoyJ

Old Man Emu comes highly reputable. Found at Rocky-road.com

Carl

Reply to
Carl

Stock, custom shop, EMU, new shocks ... that's the lay of the land I needed to get moving on this. Much obliged.

Dennis

Reply to
mypublicmail