Half a quart over

I accidently overfilled my oil by about a half a quart. Is this bad or damaging to the engine? I burn about a quart every 1000 miles so should I just leave it there or drain the half quart out?

Thanks,

bill

Reply to
William Oliveri

Jeepster

I'm ashamed to admit I did that last oil change (the Jeep wasn't as level as I thought !) and it made no discernable difference. Oil pressure was exactly the same, and no leaks from blown seals.

Dave Milne, Scotland

Reply to
Dave Milne

William Oliveri did pass the time by typing:

1/2 quart shoudn't be that bad. Take a look at the dipstick and if there is any foam you should drain a bit of the oil. That is the issue. If the oil is high enough that the crank will whip it into foam then you can have problems. Other than that you will be fine.
Reply to
DougW

Probably won't hurt, but you didn't give the year or engine. Interestingly, the factory fix for the low oil indication on all the time for the '93 JGC V-8 is to provide a recalibrated dipstick, and fill the crankcase with an extra 1/2 quart.

Dick

Reply to
Dick

I will add to the agreement that this will not be a problem and if you are still worried, look for foam on the dipstick after running it a while. Tomes

Reply to
Tomes