hangin' on

one of the sucky things about eastern north carolina is the hurricanes that blow through every so often. fran knocked the power off for nearly 2 weeks, floyd nearly a week.....if isabel hits us with 70mph winds it will no doubt take the power again leaving me and 7slotgrille.com offline for awhile. ill wire a welder into the house for electricity but without having power to the cable system i wont have any server backbone. winds are currently only 20 mph but theres a long time to go between now and "then". we've got as "ready" as anybody can be i guess, and now its just a matter of waiting it out. the hurricane doesnt concern me nearly as much as the tornados that always seem to stem from them.

soooooooo anyways, if me and 7slot seem to disappear for awhile its due to isabel. if the streets get flooded im sure me and rubi will do what we can to help folks get around.

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

You should seriously think about moving... td

Reply to
Tyler Dirden

lol....no kidding. i told the wifey that if the hurricane sucks me up not to feel guilty about coming back from montana. ;-)

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

thanks bill. its a bit premature to get to concerned, but i wanted to post anyway just in case we dont have power tomorrow.

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

oh man nate! good luck! like i said before...move to cali-u only have to worry about earthquakes then!

Reply to
serg

I think you're far enough inland to be OK. But take care, be safe.

Dave

Reply to
David C. Moller

Hey, good luck Nathan.. This storm is heading in at right angle to land, not brushing the coast like Floyd. It looks like inland is going to get lots of wind and rain. When Hugo hit SC a few years ago I took my CJ down to Myrtle Beach (Garden City) and helped my Mom & Dad clean up, also some neighbors. Mostly pulling trees out of the way. I had trouble getting in (National Guard) but once I was in I was welcome. I have a brother in Greensboro and I'm ready if I'm needed.

Andy Turner

Reply to
Andy

Nathan, if you can, let us know how bad it hits please.

It is aimed right at me after it finishes with you and it would be good to know how tight to tie everything down.... ;-)

Mike

"Nathan W. Collier" wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

hi mike, sure will. local news says the worst is still ahead of us, but so far its just been a lot of wind and rain. today was "trash day" so optimistically most of the neighbors had put their trash out on the curb for pick up that never came.....at least not from the trash company. we're pretty well littered now in the neighborhood with trash strewn about, and none of my relatives outside the city limits have power now. im getting ready to take a welding machine over to my moms house to hook into her power box to give her power, and then ill take another one to my brothers house, and yet another to my brother in laws.

im just barely on the edge of the direct projected path (it cuts my city in half and im on the eastern half) so i wont see the worst of it hopefully. my biggest concern is having to replace vinyl again. floyd took several pieces of vinyl siding from my house and i spent the next week learning how to install it. :-)

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

A hurricane is just "a lot of wind and rain"... Here in Raleigh, it's pretty windy and sideways rain right now (1:51PM EST). Bad stuff comes 3:00-9:00PM tonight...

Reply to
Joe

Uh, oh... Don't open that one up, Jerry. Trust me!

Reply to
TJim

Approximately 9/18/03 10:54, Joe uttered for posterity:

A lot of wind and rain, and every now and then, a tornado just to add insult to injury.

Reply to
Lon Stowell

"tornado" Yeah, wind :-)

Reply to
Joe

Approximately 9/18/03 14:23, Joe uttered for posterity:

A highly confused wind on amphetamines, so cranked up it can't figure out which way to blow....

Gad am I glad I no longer work for the company in Raleigh that had all of the computer contracts for the North Carolina, South Carolina, Florida, Louisiana, etc. law enforcement and emergency response folks. Nothing like driving along a North Carolina back highway in a ford van, trying to follow a patrol car with flashing lights while being blown all over the place.

Reply to
Lon Stowell

Luck Nathan!

Our North Atlantic Division offices went off line earlier today. The were flooded out (litterally).

Reply to
jbjeep

thanks. its past us at this point. i lost a little vinyl siding, and got a little wet going to pick up krispy kreme. :-)

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

Well, she's past. Lost power for 3.5 hours. Not bad! Did have a tree that wanted to fall over. Had to go stake it up with some pretty strong gusts of wind hitting me... Don't worry, my CJ7 did not blow away.

Reply to
Joe

I know I'm going to regret asking, but wj=hat the hell is krispy kreme?

Anyway, I'm glad all you lost was some vinyl siding.

Mike

98 TJ SE
Reply to
GzrGlide