1990 honda accord 4 cyl

When I start the car in the morning, it cranks for 5-10 seconds before starting. If it has been running within a few hours it starts right away.

I think fuel is draining from a fuel line overnight, so it has to pump all the way from the tank before starting in the morning. Since it hasnt alway done this I think there is a small leak somewhere.

Car runs fine and gets good mileage.

Am I right and where should I look for the leak ?

Thanks

Gene W

Reply to
Gene Wagenbreth

---------------------------

It could be flooding overnight. Try holding it to the floor instead and see if it starts faster. (read your manual to confirm).

I'm assuming you have fuel injection. Use injector cleaner to cure the problem, if that's what you find.

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_

Check to see if the carb has a "power valve." This may be the culprit as it was in my '83 Civic that suffered the same exact symptoms. Once started, it ran fine all day but let it stand over night, ten to twelve seconds of cranking was needed to get the carb refilled. The "power valve" resides in the bottom of the carb and is the prime source to leak.

There are other possibilities for carb "leakage" and you might have to investigate further.

A negative side of this symptom is that over time, it can "wash" the rings with gas thus increasing wear on the engine in addition to thinning out the motor oil.

Best to get this corrected.

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire