headlight will not turn off

The old ladies 98 grand cherokee, the headlights will not go out at all tried disconnecting battery to reset the comp. but that did not help. any thoughts was driving it without headlights selected on and 20 min after shutting off vehicle neighbor noticed they were on.

Reply to
JEEPR

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

its a 1998 grand cherokee lerado the head light selector switch is on the extreme left of the dash panel I believe your link is for 1999 and up

Reply to
JEEPR

Hey Bill, would you have a link to Headlamp Adjustments on a TJ.

Thanks Chuck

Reply to
Chuck

the high beam indicator is on at all time also if this helps

Reply to
JEEPR

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
Chuck

Reply to
mic canic

Try pulling the circuit breaker and relay for the headlights,, I had a set of driving lights that liked to do the mysterious on thing once and a while, I found out it was actually the fuse and relay causing the problem. The relay contacts would stick.

Snow...

Reply to
Snow

does not have auto head light feature were is the relay located? and description of identity would be appreciated, I'm guessing that is what it is the problem were is the circuit breaker I've looked in the power distribution center under the hood and all I can locate is the 30 amp fuseable link.

thanks for all help so far and in the future.

Reply to
JEEPR

There is no relay in the headlight circuit, it's probably a bad headlight switch where the contacts welded themselves together or the switch mechanically failed so the contacts are touching.

Jerry

JEEPR wrote:

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

removed the headlight sw and lights still stay on took the fuse out from power distribution center for the headlights and the battery was drained overnight my guess now is a stuck relay just do not know which one

Reply to
JEEPR

found a module under the power distribution center that was leaking some nasty fluid, my guess something gone on the inside, will get a replacement tomorrow and see were that gets me.

Reply to
JEEPR

Did the lights go of when you disconnected the battery?

Reply to
mcalister

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

No, they are powered by a power recycling flux capacitor. ;)

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

I thought the flux capacitor didn't kick in until 88.4MPH.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland