headlight wiring

Just got finished replacing the switch in my 92 XJ. That wasn't the problem. Fished around and found a wiring connector behind left headlight that was corroded as hell. Anybody ever tried bypassing one of these with splices? Any reasons not to? If I have to replace I will, just trying to save another half day dismantling a boneyard heap. There are at least 2 wires that corroded to the ppoint they broke, so cleaning and reattaching to original connector seems pointless.

Reply to
JeffD.

You can buy brand spanking new connectors at your local Parts Store. Go in and look for the Help brand section of the store. There is tons of stuff that Help packages up. You simply will hack the old headlamp connector off and put the new one on, matching the colors as you go.

Reply to
CRWLR

No problem, I do that all the time on old beasts.

Mike

"JeffD." wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Reply to
JeffD.

I'm pretty sure he is talking about the connector in the harness about 8" behind the left headlight... it allows you to disconnect the header panel from the rest of the body. I don't think Help brands get that specific with connectors. If it was the actual headlight connector you'd bang on with your suggestion.

-Brian

Reply to
Cherokee-LTD

-Brian

Reply to
Cherokee-LTD

Yeah, I'm not looking forward to it. I already took most everything off the front side and was able to get the front half out through where the headlight sits. Looks like the only way I'm going to get to the other half is to pull the air cleaner housing.

Reply to
JeffD.

In news: snipped-for-privacy@sympatico.ca, Mike Romain from was injured because:

| No problem, I do that all the time on old beasts. | | Mike

Shouldn't talk about your wife like that... ;)

Reply to
Joseph P

Well, Help does have connectors. All one needs to do is get one that is of a proper size, and splice it in. Help has both sides of the connector, so it should be easy to replace.

Reply to
CRWLR