OK, I know they recommend ....

...to change the timing belt at 60k (97 Mazda 626). But for those of you who actually change them and see the old ones being replaced, in your opinion is there a lot of overkill in the 60k recommendation.

I have heard mechs say that that they can go to 80k easy and heard others say you must always change at 60k. I am going to trade the car in about a year and have just turned over 60. Am I playing with fire?

Reply to
jimmineecricket

"jimmineecricket" wrote

If the engine happens to be an interference design, then yes, I'd say you are playing with fire. Nothing may happen, but if the belt happens to break, you will wish that you had changed it.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

It's like changing oil - cheap insurance, and your Mazda is an interference design - might last to 80 or 100K, but, might not - $150 to change, much more for good motor.

Andrew

jimm>...to change the timing belt at 60k (97 Mazda 626).

Reply to
Andrew Paule

Yes!

If that puppy blows, so does the engine....

Err on the side of caution when it comes to timing belts...

Mike

jimm>

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
Robert Zawarski

Mazda 'used' to make interference engines....

Mike

Robert Zawarski wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Mazda did build a number of interference engines, but you are correct, this one is not - all that will happen is the timing belt will break and the car won't run - sorry

Andrew

Robert Zawarski wrote:

Reply to
Andrew Paule

OK - what is an "interference" engine? I always thought you ran a timing belt and when it breaks, you cuss a little and change it. What else could happen? There is no guarantee that a belt will last for 60,000 or even for

Reply to
George

Some engines have piston designs such that if the piston comes up at a time other than when it's supposed to it will hit one or more valves, bending the valves, punching holes in the piston tops, cracking the cylinder head, and all around wrecking the motor. Yours is apparently one of those motors, so if the belt breaks the cams will stop, some of the valves will still be open, and the pistons will proceed to do their thing. :(

JazzMan

Reply to
JazzMan

Just a clarification, If your engine is an interference engine it would be a wise idea to replace the belt.

JazzMan

JazzMan wrote:

Reply to
JazzMan

It is an engine where the valves and the pistons can share the same space, so if a belt breaks, all hell breaks loose.

Your engine isn't one of them according to a google search I did. Mazda doesn't make interference engines any more.

Mike

George wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

OK, I know they recommend .... Group: rec.autos.tech Date: Sat, Sep 13, 2003, 10:42pm (EDT+4) From: snipped-for-privacy@aol.comgidday (jimmineecricket) ..to change the timing belt at 60k (97

Reply to
opietaylor69

recommendation.

Reply to
Robert Zawarski

I think we got it. Robert. Everyone's out to screw us. If the belt can go 105,000 miles, why not forever? Stop cutting those pills in half to make them last longer.

Reply to
WasteNotWantNot

Reply to
Robert Zawarski

recommendation.

I think it depends on what kind of driving you do. My father had a B2000 which he did a lot of highway driving with. He changed the belt at 90K and when he pulled the belt it looked fine. No missing teeth or cracks on the belt. It could've gone much longer. The question is do you want to risk the belt snapping on you.

Reply to
Alex Rodriguez