Help Changing break hose?

I cant get the Break hoses to break free from the line. By this, The Lines come form the Master Cylinder, and then the hose goes to the Caliper. They join at an inline connection, I cant get them apart.

83 Scrambler w/ wide track

I got the tab, out, and Soaked it all with PB-Blaster, But I cant get them to break loose, don't want to strip.

Any one know what size wrench? Nothing seems to fit right. And how doses it come loose? Doses the line screw into the hose? Or do they both screw into the a third piece?

My Chilton is of no help, it just says to do it, doses not mention threads or what screws into what.

I don't want to have to get this thing towed just to change the break lines.

83 CJ 8, a work in progress
out the "XXX" to e-mail me
Reply to
Evan

Yup, you have a problem.

The fitting is either 3/8 or 7/16, likely 3/8.

If there isn't enough left for a proper wrench to grab, vise grips are the last resort.

If the line is rusty, then I usually just cut the steel line close to the fitting so I can get a socket on the fitting and maybe save the rubber line. The steel line has to likely be replaced.

Those brake line jobs can end up with 'all' of the lines needing replacing because nothing will come apart and can be one major nightmare.

Mike

Evan wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Just cut the sucker and re-nib it with a free tool you can rent at autozone. Nick

Reply to
Nick N

Evan ( snipped-for-privacy@aol.comxxx) wrote on Saturday 28 February 2004 01:58 pm:

My 82 CJ-8 had the same problem. I ended up taking a propane torch to the connector along with a pair of vise-grips. The first time I did it, I forgot to open up the bleed valve and the rubber line blew up in my face due the the pressure built up by the higher temperature (PV=nRT) (always wear safety goggles :). But the brake fluid doesn't burn very well, so I didn't worry about fires. Both sides broke free. I thoroughly bled the system after that.

I'm not recommending you do or not do this, it's just how I did it.

Reply to
Michael White

Thanks guys, I quit while I was ahead, before I striped it all out so there should be plenty left for vice grips. I have it soaking in PB-blaster, and now it's raining so looks like it will soak for a few day before I can get back to it, so that may do the trick, if not,

From what you have told me is it "best" to cut and re-fit the end? or is it best to run all new lines?

Thanks again.

83 CJ 8, a work in progress
out the "XXX" to e-mail me
Reply to
Evan

When I do work on my CJ, I go with a new line and a new caliper even if the bleeder won't go.

Now I have all new lines under her.

I live in Canada in the salt belt so very few old brake lines are in any shape to remove. It is usually replace time.

That is why brake jobs can get so damn expensive!

Mike

Evan wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain