Help getting doors off a Cherokee

A neighbor is junking his 1994 Cherokee Sport and I've been raiding it for any parts I need (1996 Cherokee Classic). So I want to change a couple of the doors, and getting to those bolts with the star grooves in them is real murder, and there's one that I can't even get loose without bending the tools.

So have any of you had experience with this? Am I going about this the wrong way? Is there any way to knock the hinge pins out instead of messing with the star wrench?

Thanks in advance -

BS

Reply to
Bill Sands

A Lot of those torx bolts are glued in that needs heat to activate it to loosen them.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 'New' frame in the works for '08. Some Canadian Bush Trip and Build Photos:
Mike Romain

Drill and Dremel?

Reply to
Lon

I think you need an impact driver something like this.

Use the right size Torx bit and whack it with a bfh and the screws should come loose.

Jeff DeWitt

Reply to
Jeff DeWitt

I might also mention that it will require a good quality torx bit to loosen the bolts. I have a very inexpensive set but it will bend if used on something that's very tight, the OP might investigate SnapOn or Craftsman, the socket should tear out before bending the torx bit.

Then the drill and dremel suggested by Lon will work!

Reply to
XS11E

Jeff, you ever try to pull one of those doors? The damned things won't open far enough to get a decent wrench in there. I wound up using a thing socket handle and a short Torx bit with a board behind it to force it into the head so that the slight angle wouldn't let it walk out. Real PITA bolt, at least the two forward ones. I left my grinding wheel home so I was fortunate enough to have a new vice grip with sharp teeth that grabbed the head of the last bolt to get it out. The ones that went back in all had hex heads - that's what I think of Torx!

Reply to
Will Honea

If you're talking about the front doors, you gotta take the fender's off. Something I forgot to mention in my post about door hinge repair.

-- Old Crow "Yol Bolson!" '82 FLTC-P "Miss Pearl" '95 YJ Rio Grande BS#133, SENS, TOMKAT, MAMBM

Reply to
Old Crow

No, last vehicle I had a door off of was a VW, and the impact driver did a great job.

I'm no fan of Torx either, they are a PITA.

Jeff DeWitt

Reply to
Jeff DeWitt