Spitfire doors

May be looking at a Mk IV Spitfire 1300 later this week - the seller says that there is a problem with the doors - "close fine but need some adjustment" - spoke to the seller on the phone and he says that the car was stripped back to chassis and rebuilt etc and says the problem with the doors is that the door pins need replacing which he just didn't get around to doing - does this sound reasonable? My concern would be actually buying a car where the body wqas twisted in some way preventing the doors from closing properly!

Any tips of what to check here appreciated.

From the earlier thread on "Where to look for a classic..." for a spitfire, I have seen the references to on-line clubs etc.

Reply to
Jeremy

Words pole and barge come to mind.... :~(

Reply to
...Jerry...

You need to be a bit wary. When the Sills are replaced on the Spitfire, it is important to get the door gaps right. The gap on the passenger side of my car has a slightly too small door gap - not major but it'll never win a concourse.

If there is enough room for a gap around the door then it should be possible to adjust them, but if they are way out you'll never get it spot on.

If you are looking for a fun car then this may be fine if the price is right. You'll rarely see a non concourse Spit with perfect panel gaps.

If you aren't familiar with spits check out

for buying advice. They do a good guide for what you should look for in a Spitfire test drive.

Good luck - a nice Spitfire is great fun.

Reply to
Doug

Worn pins are a possibility. Check also for rust around the hinge mounting bolts as this prevents the hinges from being firmly mounted in place and could be expensive to repair. I should know as it happened to my Mk3 Spitfire.

Reply to
Olp1e