TJ doors off, which mirrors?

Decent weather has finally arrived in northern New England and along with storing the snowblower I've been hankering to yank the full-doors off my TJ, but don't have anything set-up for side view mirrors yet.

I'm looking at either a set of mirror relo brackets, some new CJ-style mirrors (either of which mount on the windshield hinge) or the safari style mirrors that just go in the hinge bracket when the doors are off. I think I know which way I want to go, but would be interested to hear others' opinions.

Oh, and in case this matters, the Jeep is only used to bop around town and for offroad fun. No significant highway miles t' speak of. No commmuting.

Personal experience, Pros and Cons and how they are holding up would be greatly appreciated.

TIA, Fred W '98 TJ Sport 5 speed

Reply to
Fred W.

Everyone has been going on about how hard it is to remove the winshield hinge torx screws and it's kinda scared me away from the relocation brackets. I been thinking about the ones that just drop in the hinge but i'm worried about how well it fits and whether it has the chance to rub away a patch of paint on the hinge. I say that 'cus the ones i've looked at seem to have a block of metal that keeps the mirror from moving front to back. I'd like to hear more on this subject too.

Shawn

commmuting.

Reply to
Endo

A gent from this group, Steve Seppala just posted in another forum that his bike mirrors he has in the hinge holes are working fine still after

3 or 4 years.

They are generic mirrors that will fit a Harley and cost him $15.00 each.

Even if any mirror that fits in the hinge hole chips some pain, you won't be able to see it. Either the mirror is there or the door is there.

Then another friend with a TJ was over last week crying the blues because he only got 3 out of 4 bolts out. One just stripped the torx guts out.

I think that is a paint issue. Folks use one size too small of a torx because the correct size means the paint must be removed from the hole before it will fit.

Mike

"Fred W." wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Fuse 4 kills the switches and the bells and whistles that go with them.

Mike

Mike Romain

Since I'm about to do the same here in MN, would someone tell me what fuse to pull to kill the lights when the doors are off. BTY, thanks for the tip on bike mirrors, I was wondering about that. JD

2K-TJ

"There are some simple truths...And the dogs know what they are." Joseph Duemer

Reply to
JD

Reply to
twaldron

Thank you very much

JD

2K-TJ

"There are some simple truths...And the dogs know what they are." Joseph Duemer

Reply to
JD

Hi Fred, I tried to find them on the JC Whitney website but I cannot find them there so mine are 'catalog only?' (my wife bought them for me from there some time ago). They slip right into the hole that the door hangs on and have a knob that one turns to make it stay there. No messing around with hinges or any of that. Easy as cake.

HOWEVER, and this is a big however, they are useless for actual viewing of what is behind you as they vibrate like crazy. Oh well. I still use them though for one big reason: they make it legal for me to drive without the doors. It is better than not having them. Resounding recommendation, eh? The law does not say that they need to be useful, just that they are there. I am planning to get some rubber tubing to place between the mirror back and the support rod to dampen things, but I have procrastinated it into not happening yet. The abject ease of use is far outweighing their functional uselessness to me at this point.

Oh - and they are beginning to rub paint a little bit in unseen areas. I plan to dip them into that liquid rubber stuff soon to temper that. My US$0.02, Tomes

commmuting.

Reply to
Tomes

Ok, just to be different - mine came out without any fuss . I didnt need an impact driver or torx socket ; they just came out with one of those folding pocket knife type torx set.

Dave Milne

"Mike Romain" wrote: b> A gent from this group, Steve Seppala just posted in another forum that

My TJ has plastic bushings in the hinge holes so I haven't had any problem with chipped paint from the Harley mirror.

Seahag

Reply to
Seahag

Decent weather has finally arrived in northern New England and along with storing the snowblower I've been hankering to yank the full-doors off my TJ, but don't have anything set-up for side view mirrors yet.

I'm looking at either a set of mirror relo brackets, some new CJ-style mirrors (either of which mount on the windshield hinge) or the safari style mirrors that just go in the hinge bracket when the doors are off. I think I know which way I want to go, but would be interested to hear others' opinions.

Oh, and in case this matters, the Jeep is only used to bop around town and for offroad fun. No significant highway miles t' speak of. No commmuting.

Personal experience, Pros and Cons and how they are holding up would be greatly appreciated.

TIA, Fred W '98 TJ Sport 5 speed

Reply to
Brian Hippel