help with 2005 rubicon 6 speep manual transmission lubricant change

greetings all,

i am in need of some advice & i cannot find my notes on this at the present time.

i am going to change the lubricant in my 2005 jeep wrangler rubicon. 2005 was the first year (i believe), for the new 6 speed manual, which, btw, is much smoother & quieter than the 5 speed i had in my 2001 wrangler sport.

the lubricant i was sold at the parts counter of a local dealership is part number 04874464 transmission lubricant. the label says "NV3500 Transmission." I do not believe this to be a NV 3500, but it is the same part number for the lubricant i used in my 2001's 5 speed, though it that those bottles did not list the transmission part number (i think it was a NV

3550).. i have misplaced my 2001 service manual, & have not yet purchased one for the 2005 rubicon.

i am in need of the torque specs for the bolts...i vaguely them to be either

17 or 19 ft/lbs. and information any of you could provide as to the model number for this 6 speed & if this is indeed the correct lubricant.

i am not doing anything until i receive some definitive information from one of the many experts here.

as always thanks very much.

regards,

campbell freeman south carolina

Reply to
campbell c freeman

L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Reply to
FrankW

Why?

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Und you luff it, nicht wahr?

thanks much.

i realize it does not need to be changed often, but i usually have the habit if changing the original out after the first 1-2 years of service.

do you know if this oil pure dino synth, or a blend, & the wieght?

again...

many thanks.

Reply to
Campbell C Freeman

Just be aware that Jeep in it's ultimate wisdumb didn't put a high water vent on the tranny like they did for the t-case and diffs.

This means if you hit the bottom of the headlight depth on a water crossing, you can be in trouble....

Other than changing it from water contamination, I don't se a need.

Mike

Mike Romain

Ya I have the nv3550 and they sold me the 3500 stuff a while back and said its the same thing. I've since used the pennzoil synchromesh myself

Troy

Reply to
Troy

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

The tranny in the 05 isn't the same one as your 01, and it's not a NV3500 or 3550, so before the dealer sells it to you make sure you get the fluid specs right. The 3550 and 3500 are the same except the 3550 has an integral bellhousing.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

thanks Matt,

...i know it is neither of the two. but, i was double...tripled assured, & even shown on the parts computer screen at the Jeep dealership, that this was the specified lube called for by DC for a 2K5 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with a NSG370, 6 speed manual transmission.

same part number as the other lubes...but the label says NV3500. Only thing i can figure is the label is probably not updated yet...although they had just gotten this batch in, as they were out when i first called them for some them last week.

Owner's manual says: "Mopar Manual Transmission Lubricant or equivalent." No capacity, though i was told and seem to remember it is about 1.5 litres. no matter, you just pump it in until it begins to seep out the fill hole.

I am in need of the torque specs for the bolts however, if you happen to know those...i seem to remember that on my 2K1 with the NV3550 they were 17 or 19 ft/lbs. i cannot find the service manual for my 2K1, & i do not have one for the 2K5 rubicon yet.

Thanks very much,

campbell freeman

Reply to
campbell c freeman

You might try contacting Getrag for the lube spec, when I was looking for an equivalent for the Mopar part I contacted New Venture Gear. The Mopar lube was specifically for New Venture transmissions, I don't know if it's compatible with anything else. If it's not the right part it wouldn't be the first time a dealer's database is wrong.

As far as the plug torque, I get it just tight enough to keep from leaking, I do it by feel. Not overtight but snug. You don't want to overtighten on an aluminum housing.

I'd guess the torque spec on the '01 would be similar.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Thanks Matt, et al,

I contacted Getrag and got very prompt responses from 2 of their key folk in Germay. One in technical operations & the other in sales. Both have written the following:

"... NSG370 is not a GETRAG- product, because we "only" deliver currently the Dodge Ram and the New Dakota transmissions with 3.7 and 4.7L engines in the Truck business of DaimlerChrysler ..."

Additionally: I was given the following information: "... Your transmission is out of a Mercedes-Benz inhouse production from Gaggenau in Germany. ..."

...now i am assuming that the transmission is indeed a NSG370, but it is not a Getrag product...it is a Mercedes Benz product.

it just goes to show "...the farther you go ...the deeper you get ..."

campbell freeman

Reply to
Campbell C Freeman

Jeep Wrangler and Liberty to Feature Six-Speed Transmissions as Standard Equipment

billy ray

yes...i have seen this and have a copy of it...

And this is the transmission in the 2005 Rubicon...however, it is not manufactured by Getrag.

All i am trying to do is determine if the lubricant they are the dealership is specifying as the lube: Mopar 04874464, is correct...and in doing so, i need to know who makes (manufactures), this transmission, & contact them for the specification of the lubricant. No one else seems to know.

thanks

Reply to
Campbell C Freeman

Reply to
FrankW

Thanks, so much Frank.

I will come across my 2001 eventually.

I am hoping that the different make's case bolts will not be significantly different. My mind is recalling either 17 or 19 ft/lbs & now that i think about it, i believe it wrote it on the case for the torque wrench, which is what i originally bought it for. That, and for torquing wheel bolts which were 85-115 ft/lbs on the wheels of a 2K1 Wrangler Sport with the larger wheel package option (i split the different and went with 100 ft/lbs). I do not know what they are for the 2K5 Rubi (larger tires, though i believe the wheels are the same size, but disc brakes on all 4).

i just need to find the $$ & buy a FSM for the 2K5 Rubi. That would solve most of my problems & answer most of my questions...just have to find $125 or so.

Thanks again,

Reply to
Campbell C Freeman

O.K. According to my FSM for the 05 TJ. For the NSG370 6 speed transmission use "Mopar manual transmission lubricant" MS-9224.

1.5L or 3.17 pts Drain/fill plug 22 ft. Lbs.

I also have a FSM for my previous 01TJ And for the NV3550 it says to use the "Mopar Manual transmission Fluid" (Exact wording from the FSM) (notice on the 05 it says "lubricant", on the 01 it says "fluid") :-/ drain/fill plug 14-20 ft. Lbs.

For the AX5 transmission use

75W90 API Grade GL-3 Drain/fill plug 32.5 ft. Lbs.

From the 05 FSM, wheel lug nut torque is 85-115 ft. Lbs. Oil pan drain plug 25 ft. Lbs Dana 44 drain/fill plugs 25 ft. Lbs cover bolts for diffs 30 ft. Lbs.

H> Thanks, so much Frank.

Reply to
FrankW

Frank,

You are The Man. Thank so much for this most valuable ionformation.

According to my information MS-9224 is indeed Mopar/Chrysler 04874464 Manual Transmission Lubricant...the same as used in the NV3500 & NV3550 trqnsmissions & also complies with Pennzoil Synchromesh Manual Transmission Lubricant, which also states it meets Chrysler MS-9224/04874464. I may give the Pennzoil a try. I have both at home.

"PENNZOIL® SYNCHROMESH FLUID is specifically formulated for synchromesh transmissions used by Chrysler transmissions requiring Part No. 4874464 (Specification MS-9224)."

BTW...the case torque specs in ft/lbs did go up as you noted, so the information you have provided is valuable on two fronts.

I really do appreciate all of the information you have provided as well as everyone else too.

Thanks one and all.