Honda Civic hardstart when cold / left overnight unused

Hi Guys,

I hope somebody can help me figure out this terrible problem I have with my Honda Civic.

Every morning for the past few weeks (3 weeks), the machine have difficulty starting up. I hear the starter motor operating normally but the engine just won't start-up today. The battery is good, i see the lights when I open it and I remove the possibility of having the battery as the problem. I always went to the basics of starting the car through its manual. And when I encounter a hardstart the past few days, I would press the gas pedal to eliminate flooding (if that would have been the problem). It will start but i hear the engine start terribly. Then it would run normally after a few seconds. But when its up, the engine would just run fine especially when it's already hot. I have not encountered hardstart when the engine is still hot only when left overnight cold. Like when the car starts in the morning and I start it again at noon, the engine would just start fine. Only when it left overnight or when not used in around more than ten hours, or when its cold already. This morning was 'special'! Even if I press the gas pedal to the floor, i just hear the starter motor but not the engine running. I missed the office today so I am here online...

This also happened before, about 3 weeks ago, but the engine started when repeatitively starting the car and pressing the gas pedal to the floor. I consulted the mechanic and he had clean the fuel filter believing that may have been the problem. He has also check the fuel lines and pump and confirmed they are all okay. He also tightened the valves to some degree as he heard it noisy and the clearance is already large. In short, he already done the tune-up. Except that my four starters are three months old already, around 7000kms used. But the mechanic also check the starters and mentioned they're all still ok. The engine oil has been changed last month and so far the oil mileage is 2000kms only. I have my car changed oil every 5000kms as the maintenance requires it. So doing the things described above by the mechanic, the problem still persists.

I do not want to spend more for now when the problem will not just be solved, only if a clear diagnosis has been done.

I have elaborated what have been done so far so I hope this gives you a clear idea how my car is faring. Hope to hear from you soon. Thank you.

regards, Jeff Dellosa snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com Philippines

Reply to
Jeffrey D.

Hola Jeff,

Mike is going to give me hell for answering this off-topic post, but here goes.

1) There are good people in rec.autos.makers.honda 2) When this happens give it a shot of starter fluid, available at auto parts stores and gas stations. If you have a fuel delivery problem, this will make it run for a second or two, then stop. 3) It makes a difference which model and year Honda you have. 4) For certain years, this is almost certainly a sign of an inoperative choke.

Saludos,

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Reported to snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com for using foul language. God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

Hello Earle!

Thanks for giving me your thoughts on this. Unfortunately, there is one person who was kind to give a thought and the answer is not as detailed as I want it to be. So it is in the same reason I posted it hear, somehow other people have experienced already this type of problem before...

The model is 95 Honda Civic with Vtec engine, Automatic transmission i should say.

I have yet to hear other hypothesis before ill call the mechanic. Thanks for the input.

Ciao! Jeff

Reply to
Jeffrey D.

Bill,

I don't normally comment on anything off-topic related to flames, spam, or arguments, but even I thought that was over the top.

Carl

Reply to
Carl S

Methinks this was some sorta mistake... (unless saying Honda is now foul language... =)

/herb

#>

[...]

#> -- #> Posted via a free Usenet account from

#> # #

Reply to
Herb Leong