Horrific mileage

Thanks for the help with the alarm. new question

2000 Cherokee 4L I6 47K miles. I'm getting into single digit mileage in the city. Little concerned.

The car didn't run too terribly much this winter (although there was an xmas trip of 1400 miles), but I just got it on the highway two weekends ago and got the mileage back to about 18MPG after a couple of tanks of gas.

Upon my return to the city driving, I'm back to a really bad 8-9.

I opened the vents and tried to smell for gas leaking from the injectors. No trace, so I stuck my head under the hood, and still seems to be no leaks. I had an MG that used to smell like gas and was getting terrible mileage, but that's because the tank had rusted out. I don't smell any gas around this car at all, so I'm thinking straightforward gas leak is unlikely?

Should I replace plugs? Clean injectors? (oh god). It's almost like someone is siphoning half a gallon from my car every night.

Any suggestions? Thanks for the help. Tennjed.

Reply to
TennJed

Do you have any codes, or 'check engine light" on? Does it warm up quickly?

Reply to
Paul Calman

I don't record fuel economy for my '98 XJ, but I can tell you it's not very good. Most of my driving is a short 4 mile commute to work. Longer highway trips are closer to 20 MPG.

Best regards, Dave Rose Cactus Cowboy Big Wonderful Wyoming '49 Willys Pickup (parts truck) '62 Willys Pickup 4WD 226 '98 XJ Sport O|||||||O

Reply to
cactuscowboy

That sounds pretty low even if this is the case, but thought I'd ask anyway:

Is your speedometer accurate? If you've put big tires on but not fixed the speedo, you're gonna read low on your mileage...

Probably this isn't it though, because even with my 33s on my TJ with stock speedo gear I would generally get a reading of 13 or 14 MPG...

Reply to
Bob

Hi,

Thanks for reply.

No check engine light, but new oil and filter (which didn't seem to help or hurt), and it seems to warm up fine, not too fast, not too slow.

Reply to
TennJed

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)