Hot Engine.

I have a 95 yj 4.0 liter, and the temp gauge reads about 235 degrees and goes up and down from there. All the way to over heating but it doesn't over heat!! Just had the head gasket replaced and did the thermostat tonight but the temp gauge still goes up and down. Any suggestions? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Greg

Reply to
jerryg

Jerry, are you sure it's really getting hot? Those gages aren't the most accurate around. Is it giving any other signs of getting hot?

Jeff DeWitt

jerryg wrote:

Reply to
Jeffrey DeWitt

Jerry,

Have you located the wire that goes to the sending unit? If you can, try grounding it to the engine block and see if the gauge pegs at the top. If it does the gauge is probably still good. If it does, get a replacement sending unit (it just screws into the engine) and put that in and then see what happens. If all fails you can get an aftermarket gauge and mount it where it suits you and just run the wire from the sending unit through the firewall to hook it up. Had to replace the gauge on an 87 Cherokee and was no big deal to do. YOU NEED TO KNOW WHAT TEMP THE ENGINE IS RUNNING AT!

Reply to
LoneGreyWolf

Reply to
jerryg

I had the same problem in my 94YJ. Does your gauge show the temp going up then dropping back down 10-15 degrees after a while? If so it means your thermostat is opening and closing. I replaced both my thermostat and fan clutch and was about to replace the water pump too. Mike gave me some good pointers and ideas so I just left it alone. Try a search or the archives from last summer time frame for his answers to me. The temp now is a little lower than it was before but not to worry. H-S-F

Reply to
Help-Slip-Franklin

Here's what Mike said (Thurs, Mar 2 2006 10:29 pm)

" would check the fan clutch first. If you heat up the engine, the fan clutch gets very stiff and will stop the fan almost instantly when the engine shuts down. If it continues to spin when hot, it is worn out.

Once off, you should not be able to make it spin with a hard finger push when hot.

You also might want to clean the sender's connection. It is on the top back corner of the head with a single purple wire going to it.

Mike

(More Off Road album links at bottom of the view page)"

Dave Milne