How easy to replace rear wheel bearing on 98' Grand Cherokee ?

I've done front drive cars and the rears are very easy. Not familiar on the Grand Chero.

Reply to
ndccpf1

Your vehicle can have either a Dana 35 or Dana 44 and you need to know which one you have. The axle shaft has to come out of the differential housing. Pull the shaft, bring to your local auto parts place and have them press the old bearing off and the new bearing on the shaft.

The Dana 35 axle shaft is held in place by a 'C' clip on the inside of the spider gears. Take off the diff cover, pull clip, remove axle. the Dana 44 has a retainer on the outboard end of the shaft, under the lug bolts. Remove the 4 retainer nuts, pull it out. Both of these are tight fits, pulling the axle shaft may take some grunting. I usually wrap a chain around the lug nuts, other end to a 55 # anvil (or concrete block), swing the block to get some force on the shaft.

It's not a horrible job > I've done front drive cars and the rears are very easy. Not familiar

Reply to
RoyJ

OK...thank you greatly for this heads up. My schedule limits the type of work so I may leave this one to the local shop.

Regards,

Philip

Reply to
ndccpf1