How to tell when coil springs are shot?

I'm replacing the shocks on my '96 ZJ Laredo (130k miles)for the first time (with Pro Comp ES9000's). While I'm at it I guess I should replace the springs if they are shot but replacing 'em looks like a bit of a PITA so I don't want to bother if they're ok.

How can I tell if my coil springs have reached the end of their useful life?

Also, if I do need to replace them, which aftermarket maker would be best for moderately priced no lift springs?

Best Regards,

Marcel

Reply to
maleemi

By measuring the ride height against the manufacturers specs.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

Where can I find the manufacturers specs?.....Or better yet could someone let me know what the spec is for a '96 ZJ Laredo 6cyl 4wd with the standard suspension.

Best Regards,

Marcel

Spdloader wrote:

Reply to
maleemi

The best place I can think would be contact a NAPA, get them to retrieve the specs from their Monroe or Moog spring book.

Hope that helps. That's where I got it when I was in the business.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

Marcel,

Unless you tow a LOT, the springs are probably fine. They are not bad to replace at all. One bolt while the shocks are off. Does the rear end sag?

Carl

Reply to
Carl

Yeah the rear does sag a bit, ever since I towed a 4,500lb trailer 1200 miles several years ago.

The Haynes manual makes it look a lot harder than removing one bolt. They have me disconnecting the rear drive shaft from the rear differential shaft yoke. Unbolt the lower suspension arms from the axle. Unbolt the stabilizer bar links and shock absorber. Disconnect the track bar from the axle bracket.

Are the folks at Haynes making it sound more difficult than it really is?.....I sure hope so.

Reply to
maleemi

maleemi proclaimed:

For the '95 which should be pretty similar, the factory manual has only a few steps.

  1. Lift the vehicle, then put a hydraulic jack under the axle
  2. Disconnect the stabilizer bar link and shock absorber from the axle bracket
  3. Disconnect the track bar from the frame rail bracket

  1. Lower the axle until the spring is free of the upper mount seat, then remove the coil spring retainer bolt and then remove the spring.

Probably a good idea to pick up a new isolator and bushings, grommets, etc. for the track bar and stabilizer bar, possibly even shock bushings while doing this.

Reply to
Lon

Marcel,

This is the procedure from the '96 ZJ factory manual Section 2 page 14:

COIL SPRING

REMOVAL

(1) Raise and support the vehicle. Position a

hydraulic jack under the axle to support it.

(2) Disconnect the stabilizer bar link and shock

absorber from the axle bracket.

(3) Disconnect the track bar from the frame rail

bracket.

(4) Lower the axle until the spring is free from the

upper mount seat. Remove the coil spring retainer

bolt (Fig. 2) and remove the spring.

INSTALLATION

Inspect isolator the for damage or wear. Replace

the isolator if necessary before installing spring.

(1) Position the coil spring on the axle pad. Install

the spring retainer and bolt. Tighten the bolt to 22

N·m (16 ft. lbs.).

(2) Raise the axle into position until the spring

seats in the upper mount.

(3) Connect the stabilizer bar links and shock

absorbers to the axle bracket. Connect the track bar

to the frame rail bracket.

(4) Remove the supports and lower the vehicle.

(5) Tighten the brack bar and shock absorber to

specified torque.

For more detailed instructions with step by step pictures Google"'ZJ Budget Boost" The only difference is instead of adding a spacer you are replacing the whole spring.

Reply to
billy ray

Yes, they are making it far too difficult. Jack up the rear end. Support the Jeep by the frame on jack stands. Put a jack on the axle, under one spring. Jack up the jack untill the Jeep creeps less than 1mm off the jack stand on that part of the axle. Lower it back down onto that jack stand. Go to the other side of the axle, push up on the spring and it will pop off the mount on the axle tube. Pull it off the bumpstop. Install the new one the same way as the old one.

If you have a hard time, disconnect the sway bar to axle mounts. This works best with the shocks off. You can also look at intalling 1" coil spring spacers instead of new coil springs to save a few dollars. It will ride the same either way, and probably look the same. Check out

for the spacers. Stock legnth shocks will be fine.

HTH

Carl

Reply to
Carl