Howell TBI

Anyone have anything good or bad to say about the Howell TBI, this would be for a 1981 CJ7 with 258,

Reply to
Greg

Got me. Last carb I had was a Rochester 4M4 quadrajet.

Just going by the writeup on

looks fairly easy. If they had this I would have donethat to the ol quadrasuck in a heartbeat.

Reply to
DougW

Greg, I've been running the Howell TBI system in my '81 CJ7 for about ten y= ears now. At first, the engine was running very rich so I had to get the PR= OM chip reprogrammed several times before the mixture was right. Since then= , not a single problem that can be ascribed to the Howell system. I've had = two stoppages, both of which were caused by loss of power to the system. On= ce was when a blade-type fuse worked partially out of the fuse block. The s= econd time, the wire that I had spliced into for system power just died, ev= erything else still worked. Picked another hot point and all OK again. If y= ou install the Howell, just be sure to tie in to a reliable 12V source, and= check that the fuses are seated fully in the fuse block. A good idea to ch= eck that the fuses are fully seated before and after every off road trip. W= ith the TBI systems, the engine starts quickly every time regardless of the= temperature and altitude is automatically compensated for. And, no floodin= g on steep inclines! Dave

Reply to
dave.edmondson5