HUMMER

Hello all,

i may be a little bit off the newsgroup, but I cannot find any Hummer group so, please forgive the intrusion...

what i need help at is the maintenance difference between a diesel and a gasoline engine. Is there a lot of difference? with the high gas price these days, is diesel the way to go?

thank for any help at all.

jf

Reply to
Failed Philosopher

Failed Philosopher did pass the time by typing:

oh boy, oh boy... just jump in and open that can of worms why don't ya? :)

Modern engines don't require much if any maintenance and diesel engines even less. Just oil changes. With the diesel you don't have spark plugs, distributors, or any of that stuff. Warm up times are almost identical now unless you live some place real cold.

It's more a buyer preference. I know folks with the 3.4 ton diesel pickups and they love them.

Given the choice I'd be shopping performance and fuel economy. With the preference given to performance.

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

There are lots of differences. I think a key one that you must deal with arises from the fact that Diesels have a smaller useable RPM range. This means more gears in the tranny and more shifting to keep the engine in the 'sweet' spot. This affects drivability significantly, especially if you live in urban and/or hilly terrain. This often is missed in this debate.

The price per mile of Diesel is not all that much different than gasoline. They are subject to pretty much the same market pressures. They likely will stay close. Diesel is always harder to find. I sure would not let this be the main reason to go with Diesel. If fuel costs are important, buy a small engined Jeep.

The Diesel is heavier. And more expensive.

Diesel engines are more scalable. In fact, the bigger the better. It is difficult to make a small Diesel since it takes a large displacement to get the necessary compression ratio.

If fed clean fuel and properly maintained, Diesels tend to go longer between overhauls. This is really the key for why they are used in most commercial applications where the engine will be run to overhaul multiple times before it is retired.

The largest pickups are large enough and need enough power to successfully mount a Diesel and the pollution laws make it difficult to field an equivalent amount of power in a gasoline engine. Hummers might fall into this category.

For most consumers who will get tired of the vehicle and trade it long before even a gasoline engine needs an overhaul, the Diesel has little advantage.

Just my $.02 worth, and you didn't even pay that!

Reply to
River Horse

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Here in damp New England, diesel prices are seasonally affected by home heating oil demand (they are closely related products). During the last two winters diesel prices peaked $0.10 to $0.20 per gallon higher than premium gasoline.

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

If you have enough dough to be buying a hummer I don't know why you're looking at gas prices.

bill

Reply to
William Oliveri

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Put down the bong and get some fresh air Bill.

-Brian

Reply to
Cherokee-LTD

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

You know,... I think Bill was actually trying a bit of satirical humor there. Right Bill? Bill?

Reply to
F. Robert Falbo

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III