Black Bear Pass - How much actual room?

Given the recent news regarding Black Bear Pass I am wondering just how much room is there for a jeep to get down?

How much "maneuver" room is there?

Bill

Reply to
William Oliveri

From bottom link page:

"If you want to earn maximum points, be on the look out for the meanest variety of mountain biker. The she-male mountain biker is by far the most feared of the species. This beast can be recognized by it big mouth, unshaven legs, and hairy arm pits. Also look for evidence of granola wrappers and designer water bottles. This is the worst variety of pest that you will ever meet on the trail. The other common mountain bikers earn fewer points but remember that the points do accumulate over time."

LOL..

Reply to
William Oliveri

the pass is a great drive and well maintained, there is about 100 yards that is the only problem. I would say it's 8' wide, and solid rock, with 90 degree turn, there are 3 to 5 12"-14" stare steps, there is a creek skirting the road at the turn, it creates a 3-4 story waterfall, as the road turns sharply to the right.

I can imagine in the rain, that two things would create a problem, the rock would be slick, and the creek would not take much to be out of it's banks and on the rock,

There is not a lot of room to maneuvering, but enough for a full size.

83 CJ 8, a work in progress
out the "XXX" to e-mail me
Reply to
Evan

Bill,

The trail starts at Red Mountian Pass between Ouray and Silerton on Hwy 550. It is relatively easy to begin with, however starts to tighten up after the pass itself, where it becomes one way (west towards Telluride). It becomes visually discoincerting, as you face directly down Ingram creek and over a cliff, with Telluride in the distance far below. As you make the first left hand three point turn it gradually gets narrower as you cross the falls and skirt the cliff face to approach the first, very narrow and tight switchback. The first four switchbacks are the toughest, by the time you get to the fifth, which is a the road up to the powerhouse, the road become much wider and two way. You're basically home free at that point.

Re: full size ANYTHING on that trail, DON'T DO IT past the Pass itself. You'll be ok until you get to the turn above Ingram falls, but the four upper switchbacks aren't worth the risk, and you can't back out.

FWIW, after the first switchback the next two can lull you a bit, but #4 is as tough as the first one to many of us.

Reply to
Jerry McG

I watched a full sized pickup travel Bl;ack Bear a couple of years ago. He was slow, but made it, F150 longbed as I recall. Standard cab.

Reply to
James Gemmill

With the right technique, or recklessness, you can do a lot. I once saw a

2wd small Toyota pickup drive up a fire lookout road that I'd previously considered a moderate 4wd only road. The biggest problem was a series of 6"-8" stair steps on a slick granite hill. He must have charged up the hill and over the stair steps, so who knows what he did to the tires and suspension.

-John

Reply to
Generic

During my Motocross days as a young whipper snapper, I was challenged to climb a nearly vertical cut-out by my friends. This was an area we called the pits where they dug out clay or something. Anyway it was a great place to get lift on an MX bike and practice. So this piece of land they challenged me on was like a wall of where they dug out. The top part needed to navigate (or squeeze) between a tree and a trunk and at the top there was a bump outward like a small ledge.

Anyway, I couldn't believe myself that I did it. It must have been luck or momentum that carried me up, I don't know but I just attacked it and kept on going.

Kinda goes along with your story below.

Bill

Reply to
William Oliveri

I guess with my CJ7 it should be good though I won't be making that trip anytime soon. I would need to put it in 4-low just so I can inch through it.

With a CJ7 do you need to make the turn(s) in question in a 3-point fashion or can you make the turn in one turn?

Also, a spotter is necessary?

Just curious, what would happen if a full size got pass the first switch back and couldn't go further? What would they do?

Bill

Reply to
William Oliveri

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

anytime soon. I would need to put it in 4-low just so I can inch through>

it.

You'll want to be in 4 low most of the time, but ther asre som lond sections after the pass you could do in 4 hi if you wanted to.

fashion or can you make the turn in one turn?>

3-pointers are required after the ledges. In fact the ist one past the falls, and the 4th may take more than that. Depe=nds upon your approach.

I've never had a spotter, but it would help. When I broke a brake line on the 1st switchback back in '01 a guy came up behind me as I crawled down to the second switchback in 1st gear, 4 low and only the emergency brake. I told the guy what was going on and he said he'd help. Then he wanted to talk about my suspension, axles, etc....I was about to load my pants and he wants to talk Jeeps! Anyway, as I approcahed the 2nd switchback the nut stood right in front of me! I had to remind him ..."I got no BRAKES!!!, after which he understood.

back and couldn't go further? What would they do?>

Reply to
Jerry McG

Talking jeeps while you're in that situation.... Freakin hilarious!!

Reply to
William Oliveri