Intake w/ conical filter

I'm looking at putting a cone filter in the '92 XJ (4.0L). I was thinking of hitting the junkyard for the longer 2.5L hose, then fabbing some sort of cold air hood - though not necessarily right away. (I'll do it in the YJ later, if this works out)

I'm wondering if there are certain places in the compartment that I should direct the filter - are some places better than others? I've seen pictures of filters in various places, seemingly only w/r/t compartment space. Has anyone made their own cold-air hood and how should that affect the filter placement?

Or, as usual, is there anything I'm overlooking that I should consider before jumping into this?

Thanks guys - appreciate the help, as always

Reply to
The Merg

You will then have extremely poor cold performance in the winter if you see freezing temperatures. The stock air box has a heat pipe that goes to a heat stove around one exhaust manifold. This feeds warm air to the engine until the engine warms up.

The vehicle also needs the stock air box to pass emissions.

Some of these air boxes in YJ's were really nasty for off road. Some have a ram air scoop just under the headlight for forced cold air intake. It also forces water intake if you splash any up over the bumper or if you cover the bumper with water it will hydrolock the engine.

I know some YJ owners that have used ABS pipe on the stock air box to aim the intake up to the top of the air filter and pointed back to stop water intake.

Mike

Mike Romain

The Turbo City RockIt! air tube that I have directs the intake right to the top of the valve cover. This works well with the four cylinder engine in all types of weather. I am not so sure it would be a good idea with the six cylinder engine because of the increased heat that that engine produces, but the folks at Turbo City say it works well. You can look at pictures of all the products on their web site at

The intake goes straight up, makes a bend, and ends to place the filter over the top of the valve cover. If you are concerned about intake air temperature you could fabricate something like this and put a hood scoop over the top of it, like the muscle cars in the sixties used to have. I am skeptical of ram air claims by Pontiac and others, but if well done it looks cool.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Scratch all this - Billy Ray showed me the error of my ways:

Mike Roma> You will then have extremely poor cold performance in the winter if you

Reply to
The Merg

Any chance of a picture of this?

Reply to
The Merg

I will look around, I know I have seen a photo, just not sure in which album it is in.

I believe he just used basic 1 1/2" black ABS plumbing drain fittings and pipe to swing the opening straight up and then he put a 90 on top pointed back just at the hood level.

Mike

Mike Romain

In your place, I would be giving both vehicles a thorough inspection and/or overhaul of all automotive systems instead of thinking about performance enhancements.

Earle

Earle Horton

I'm in the middle of that with the XJ - the YJ is running perfectly fine at the moment.

The ZJ is having CCV troubles as far as I can tell, I cleaned it today but I need to replace the hose, which my dad snapped in the middle while trying to remove the CCV. check engine codes were 22 and 54. Code 22: Coolant sensor voltage too high or too low. Test Coolant temperature sensor Code 54: No camshaft position sensor signal from distributor. Problem with the distributor synchronization circuit. - The distributor cap, spark plugs, and wires were changed a month or two or three ago - could something have been screwed up in the installation that would cause the code 54?

I'm going to get some TB cleaner tomorrow and do a thorough going over of all three vehicles.

By the way, I finally took a look down below at the TC and found out I was right - the TC shift linkage was unhooked right before it enters the case. The bushing was pretty messed up, so I'm going to replace that and, after the power steering pump goes in tomorrow morning, I'll retry the 4wd.

Earle, as usual I'm just asking questions, trying to get a feel for things. I appreciate the help and patience wholeheartedly.

Thanks guys

Reply to
The Merg

Oh yeah, the ZJ is a '95. It won't maintain idle most of the time, but will run fine with a little prodding from the gas pedal.

The Merg wrote:

Reply to
The Merg

I'm not saying yay or nay to the modification, but there are other conical filters other than K&N, including some that don't require the oil. Supposedly (I haven't found any tests on the web yet) these non-oiled filters work better than the K&N oiled filters.

Chris

Mike, didn't heat pipes go out with electronic fuel injection?

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

This is a '92 with the 4.0L, so it is fuel injected - even if it needs a heat pipe, etc, I still think I can modify the hose to accept any necessary hoses.

require the oil.

work better than >the K&N oiled filters.

AEM Brute Force Intake Systems advertises as not needing oil. It's also the only one I've ever seen that offers one an intake system for the 2.5L YJ. I just assumed that not needing oil just meant easier maintenance.

The Merg

My 88 Cherokee 4.0 has one... I thought they all did.

Mike

Matt Macchiarolo wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

This is an interesting take on the cold air intake:

The Merg