Is 2.4 I4 really enough for a Wrangler?

If you don't have a website where you can put pics, email them to me ( jeep at milne dot info ), and I'll put them up for you. Then you post the link to where I/you have put them.

Dave Milne

We won't see that picture until late 2006.

Steve

Dave Milne wrote:

Reply to
Steve

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

I get 21 to 23 mpg out of my '03 2.4 mostly high speed highway - 75mph no mods yet, just stock - and it's got 50,000 on it already. ~Dave

ElAlumbrado wrote:

Reply to
Dave

Didn't know that had been confirmed ! Thanks.

Dave Milne

I am glad that someone else spoke. up. It is good to know that your highway mileage is good. Maybe it is the 2.4 that is giving the good mileage, more than the driving conditions that I was contributing the high MPG too. I have spent a little time above 70, and my Wrangler ran just fine, but I am usually puttering along at the speed limit.

But at least I am not the only one getting good mileage out of their SE.

How is your performance? Mine is improving as the motors breaks in. Close to 4000 miles and the power seems to be gradually increasing and mpg stabilizing in the low to mid 20's. But I have no complaints about power at all, how about you Dave?

Bryan

Reply to
Bryan

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Geez, I must have a factory reject. I can't even reach 70 on a flat road. And my gas mileage has never been more than mid teens.

Reply to
ElAlumbrado

Reply to
Dave

Yep. Can't say I would blame you. Got a couple friends who have gotten decent mileage from their 4-cyl wranglers, but they are not internet newsgroup savvy. Glad somebody chimed in.

Bryan

Reply to
Bryan

Hey ElAlumbrado, is yours a 2.5 or a 2.4? YJ or TJ?

The YJ's with the 2.5 I have been in ran reasonably well and the owners report decent mileage. The TJ's I have driven with the 2.5 are as you describe, or worse, and would barely pull themselves down the road.

Are the YJ 2.5 motors better/different than the TJ motors?

If you have a 2.5, at least test drive a new 2.4 and see what you think. Big difference in my opinion. I test drove and passed 3 times on a 4 cyl. TJ. Drove the 2.4 six-speed and bought it on the spot.

Bryan

Reply to
Bryan

Reply to
Bryan

Bryan, I've got a 2000 TJ. It is definitely not a highway vehicle. I live on a ranch in Texas, so my TJ probably spends more time off-pavement than most (in fact, it is rarely used on-pavement). For fence running or pasture bashing it's a fine little ATV substitute, able to haul 2 people and some tools pretty comfortably into some places that might be too tight for a 4x4 pickup. My Wrangler even has the ubiquitous "West Texas Pinstriping" common to working Jeeps in this part of the country, applied by running it too close to a barb-wire fence. I also pull it around behind my RV from time to time, and it makes a great vehicle for touring National Parks and Forests. It would probably even make a good in-town runabout, if there was a town anywhere nearby that I needed to run about. But it is a miserable thing to drive on the highway. Since getting from here to anywhere means a pretty good drive down the highway, the Jeep usually gets left at home.

I was waiting to see what the next generation looks like before buying a new Jeep, as I like the idea of a diesel 4-door Wrangler. But, if the new Wrangler will not be offered with a soft top, as rumors seem to indicate, then I'll buy one of the last TJ's I can get my hands on before production stops (or just re-power the one I already have). A hard top Jeep with doors is of no use to me. I'd buy another 4x4 pickup or Suburban if I needed an enclosed vehicle. But aside from an ATV or a horse, there is no substitute for an open Jeep. As all-purpose vehicles they have their flaws, but I just can't understand why anybody would ride a horse when they could be driving a Jeep.

Reply to
ElAlumbrado

It sounds like you have a smart plan. The diesel in a Wrangler does sound like a great idea. That ought to get good mileage if anything does. If the new TJ's don't have the diesel or a soft-top, and you end up looking at an existing TJ, I tend to think you will like the 2.4 motor, as your 2000 should have a 2.5. I consider the new motor an improvement, but that is just my opinion.

But man, that diesel with about 300 lb/ft of torque in the TJ would make a great vehicle. I have driven that motor in a Liberty, and the power and smoothness is excellent, and the noise is not that bad either. You notice it is a diesel at idle, but it is not very loud. Out on the road, I personally didn't notice it being any louder than its gas counterparts. In then end my wife settled for a 3.7 gas motor, but that diesel would have been my preference.

If they put that motor in the Wranglers, I am going to have to come up with a real good excuse to explain to my wife why I need to trade for one....

:-)

Bryan

Reply to
Bryan