Is my Jeep lifted?

I have had my 81 CJ5 for 6 years. I have always thought that it did not have any extra lift. But while researching the steering problems, many of you have told me it may be due to a lift. What should I look for to see if it is lifted? I have 10.5 x 31 tires. You can see a picture at

Thank You Brad

Reply to
Ghostbuster

Looks like it might have a 2 1/2" lift but need a better picture of the undercarriage and springs. Shadows in the pic make it hard to tell.

Bill

Reply to
William Oliveri

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

That sure looks like a lot of clearance on top of those 31's....

I know that 31x10.5's will fit on a stock CJ7 and they will rub on full twist or stuff. Yours don't look like they could come anywhere near rubbing.

It is also hard to tell from the photo, but do your shackles measure

2.5" hole center to hole center or are they longer?

Someone should have the stock heights for the 5 around, maybe Brian that does the military Jeep stuff. He posts on alt.jeep-l lots too.

Mike

Ghostbuster wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Here is a link to a photo of the front underside of my Jeep

Thanks, Brad

Reply to
Ghostbuster

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Those are aftermarket springs I believe.

The straps are on the aftermarket spring packs to hold them together for shipping and the stock ones don't have the friction pads in them I don't think. I think the friction pads are there to make the steeper arch slide easy so the lift springs aren't too stiff.

I could be wrong, but don't think so.....

The shackles are stock.

The only way to know for sure is to get the bumper heights for a stock CJ5 and add the extra for the 31's. As I mentioned, I think Brian might have that.

Mike

Ghostbuster wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Bill, I don't know what you are pointing at?

That diagram shows a multi leaf spring pack like my CJ7 is stock, (I have stock springs, just arched to 2.5" with a keeper leaf replacing the second one down) his photo shows a 3 leaf spring pack on his with a shipping strap on it... That just doesn't look stock to me....

The stock one in your link looks like my CJ7's with 5 leafs up front.

I think his 3 leaf spring packs are aftermarket and likely lifted from the tire clearance he has with the 31x10.5's he is running.

We should just email Brian, the military Jeep guy, he would know the stock bumper height.

Mike

"L.W.(ßill) Hughes III" wrote:

Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

The number of leafs Bill, the numbers and layout don't look stock in the OP's photos, they look aftermarket....

Did CJ5's come with 3 long leafs up front?

I thought they had a 5 pack of shorties like my 7 and the link you point to shows....???

Mike

"L.W.(ßill) Hughes III" wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

I was thinking the same thing, it looks like there is a set of 2.5" springs.

Reply to
CRWLR

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Reply to
Roy J

Bingo, I just figured out what was wrong with what I was seeing in your photos because of another thread!!

It was bugging me... ;-)

Your front shackles are aftermarket shackles and are part of a spring kit. I have seen them online before!

I do not remember where, but I will bet if I can find them, the company will be selling a 3 leaf lift springs just like yours.

Stock shackles are stamped sheet steel that have a 90 degree U bend all around, your shackles are cut and drilled plate steel.

Mike

Ghostbuster wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

I see, So it has no addded lift. Just replacement springs.

Thanks for all your help

Brad

Reply to
Ghostbuster