Is there a name for...

...the dent on the Wrangler hood where someone sat on your truck?

Has anyone had luck pushing the dent back out from the underneath?

Seahag

Reply to
Seahag

I think I would try with a plunger from the top first. You can push up from under very carefully. There are tools shaped so as not to kink or crease. I have had some luck with a wood block and a strong slow push. The rounded edge of a finish 2x4 comes to mind.

If the cross bars under are involved, things change fast. Usually the bar needs to be separated from the metal first. There is glue on some of them that takes a torch to melt.

Mike

Seahag wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Seahag did pass the time by typing:

I call them assprints.

Before you go pushing things and making the dent a crease, check with a good local body shop and see how much they would charge. Going after a dent without knowing what your doing has a high chance of making things much worse (read more expensive) to fix.

You may be able to lighly press with your palm from the back side and pop the dent out. If there are any creases around the edges it will take some auto body work to fix.

Reply to
DougW

could you pull the dry ice trick here? Nick

Reply to
Nick

Nick did pass the time by typing:

Possibly. I say that because the use of dry ice to suck the metal back relies on thick metal. Modern day sheet steel is just to thin. It all depends on if the metal has been moved beyone the elastic range and actually deformed (plastic range). Once it's gone that far hot/cold won't bring it back, only force will.

It falls under the "can't hurt" title since you can't damage the metal by trying the dry ice.

Reply to
DougW

I'll try the plunger trick on my truck, I don't think the cross bars are involved. My BIL has a deeper "assprint" as the individual was a 'big' girl! Thanks.

Seahag

Reply to
Seahag

I thought there must be a name, hahaha!

No creases...I'll be gentle though. Thanks,

Seahag

Reply to
Seahag