Jeep Cherokee '03 Needs Brakes - TOUGH????

I have a 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4X4 and it's in need of new brake pads. I used to do all my own work on my vehicles up until you needed a bazillion specialy tools and a $10K computer to replace something. My Jeep needs brakes and I was wondering if anyone knew if there's anything special to consider when doing that on this vehicle or is it the same old replace, bleed and go deal? Don't want to get into anything I can't finish but if it's 1/4 the price to do it myself, I am more then willing to take the time.

Any words of wisdom?

Thanks, Scott

Reply to
infiniteMPG

I think changing brake pads is about as difficult as changing oil. You shouldn't even need to bleed the brake lines. Take off your wheel, remove the two retainer bolts on the caliper, remove caliper from rotor, remove pads. Reverse order to install. Somethings recommend removing the cover on the fluid resevoir for when you are pushing the caliper back. I generally do, but I'll admit that I have forgotten to before and everything still went fine.

Reply to
Raptor

shouldn't even need to bleed the brake lines.

Remove the outer pad but keep the inner pad in so when you push the piston back in you're less likely to damage the piston.

I use a big ass C clamp, but they make a tool for pressing the piston back in.

Keep your hands clean, keep your work clean, and use a degreaser on the rotor to remove fingerprints and any leftover dust/stuff.

lube the slide pins and put no-squeek on the pad mounting surfaces. (pads usually come with the no-squeek, but if not, NAPA or similar places sell little one-use packets)

Follow the torque recommendation for the slider bolts.

Far as taking the lid off, I recommend you at least untwist it and let it sit loose, that will be enough without allowing any debris in.

Watch the level though, if someone topped off the reservoir it might be too high after you do the pads. If so, draw off a bit with a clean straw. Mind the paint, brake fluid is one of the best paint removers out there.

Reply to
DougW

In article , infiniteMPG wrote: #I have a 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4X4 and it's in need of new #brake pads. I used to do all my own work on my vehicles up until you #needed a bazillion specialy tools and a $10K computer to replace #something. My Jeep needs brakes and I was wondering if anyone knew if #there's anything special to consider when doing that on this vehicle #or is it the same old replace, bleed and go deal? Don't want to get #into anything I can't finish but if it's 1/4 the price to do it #myself, I am more then willing to take the time.

Replace, bleed and go for the most part...

Make sure you get teves pads if you have teves calipers and akebono pads if you have akebono calipers. If you have teves calipers, consider upgrading to akebono calipers. If you upgrade, get new rotors. Take the teves calipers and put them on your TJ. WJ teves are a upgrade for the TJ.

Don't chince out on the rotors. The made-in-china-inc junk will warp and warp and warp. Don't bother with vented or slotted rotors--most of them are made-in-china-inc junk with holes and slots in them so they will crack or warp on you that much faster.

If you turn the rotors, you MUST match-mark them so that you can put them back on exactly as they came off. DC says to use a on-the-car turning machine... Unless you have a rotor that looks like a record alblum from hell, you don't need to turn. And if you do, I would just say screw it and get new rotors.

Use a torque wrench for the bolts.

The manual says the bolts that hold the caliper in place are single-use but I've never seen a shop or dealer use new ones unless it was a teves to akebono upgrade (the kit comes with new bolts). YMMV.

It's all metric after you get the lug nuts off.

/herb

Reply to
Herb Leong

Reply to
Socks

Scott,

The job is the same, but if you have ABS - watch out: when you go to push the caliper piston back, lightly attach a set of vise grips over a rag onto your brake hose and open the bleeder. Don't just push the fluid from the caliper back through an ABS system, that's just plain crazy, and you'd be asking for trouble.

Jon

Reply to
Jon

I replace my front brakes on my 99 wrangler. It ended up being very easy for me. But I think your 03 cherokee is different then my 99 wrangler. But I can be wrong very easy.

99 wrangler TJ 2.5 lift 31 inch Good year MTR tires and a ton of lights Warn M8000 winch and more toys to come.

Some people have an addiction to drink... Some people have an addiction to drugs.... I just have an addiction to Jeeps and their accessories....

Reply to
Jamie Mello