Jeep Cherokee

What are the symptoms of bad motor or transmission mounts in a 1992 Jeep Cherokee with a 4.0L and 5-speed. Thanks

Reply to
Chris & Mary

A clunking noise, popping out of some gears sometimes, bucking or grabbing when starting out in 1st or reverse, gearshift moving a lot when giving gas or letting off gas....

One way to check for it is to open the hood and have someone put it in first, hold the brake really tight and ride the clutch to load the engine up.

If the engine lifts on one side, check the mount. Then do the same in reverse, again if the engine lifts on one side check the mount.

When doing this, if the back of the engine lifts or the 'tail wags' one way in 1st and the other in reverse, suspect tranny mount.

Mike

Chris & Mary wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
twaldron

If the sounds are due to worn out "mounts," I'd suggest replacing them with the

1" lift mounts for your "motor" and 1" drop mount for your "tranny"...your wife will appreciate the extra two inches...
  • * * Matt Macchiarolo
Matt Macchiarolo

---snip---

Sounds like some of the spam I have been getting lately. ;o)

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Reply to
twaldron

Could a worn mount be the reason that my jeep sounds like the engine/transmission are bouncing around when I start the engine or turn it off?

Reply to
Chris & Mary

Yes.

Try the gas pedal/brake/clutch test to be sure.

Mike

Chris & Mary wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain