DEALER tire rotation w/ full size spare, One dealers "POLICY" FYI

DEALER tire rotation w/ full size spare, One dealers "POLICY" FYI

So it hit 7k miles and since the dealer gives out free loaner cars (in this case it was a huge Jeep Wrangler I had to pull myself into as compared to my Sebring) I ask to include the tire rotation in the oil change/check service and I state to the service writer "it has a full size spare" he responds with "we'll take care of that"

I had numbered the tires before I turned the car over to him. I get it back and I see all they did was move the front to the back on that same side and the back to the front on the same side. I'll take that as an new update to the owners manual :)

So I find the same and only service writer on the Saturday and ask him if he remembers me stating I had a full size spare and he responding we'll take care of that, he says YES. He adds that they "don't include the spare in the rotation so as to keep it as a good tire" rather than dwell on the situation I move on and state SO IF I want the spare included in the rotation I have to specifically state that, he responded yes.

Should I go for a rotation again at this dealer I'll remember I have to specifically state that, "I want the spare included in the rotation"

FYI

Reply to
Mr.X

good idea!!

Reply to
maxpower

Yep - goes along with the "Easier to ask forgiveness than to ask permission" philosophy of the modern business world. It's almost gotten to the point that every time I leave my car anywhere for service I have them sign a pre-prepared set of rules that they accept before I leave it. Things like using a torque wrench on lug nuts; any fasteners that you remove will be re-installed (i.e., they are my personal property not yours to throw away or keep or give to your buddy or put on your car); if you are adjusting something (such as an alignment) and something's not coming out right, call me so together we can figure out the path that I decide on for resolving it - don't just leave an issue that I have to pay a second time to get resolved but I don't find out about it until I come to pick it up - again, the car is my personal property not yours - I decide the risks I take and the costs to be incurred, and it's my decision as to how it is maintained and the best way to resolve any problems - if there is a problem with it, it's not your right to decide what's "good enough"; etc.

That aside - on your tire rotation, I take it that your tires are non-directional tread type?

Bill Putney

The policy in the owners manual for a 5 tire rotation on our Jeeps, is to put the spare on the right rear, right rear to right front, right front to spare and front to back on the left side. The idea is the right rear has the most wear as it is the primary drive tire and spins first so wears the most. The 3 swap is supposed to equal the 2 swap on the other side.

So to 'fix' yours, you just have to swap the spare with the right rear tire.

Some vehicles are labeled LT or left tire drive, so their 3 and 2 swap would be on the other side.

Mike

Mike Romain

A full-size spare should be part of the rotation. Except, as one poster mentioned, unless they are directional tread. Which itself, isn't that big a deal, except for some rough riding or noise, or maybe treadwear issues. Most manuals show the pattern for using a full spare to rotate.

Reply to
Knifeblade_03

Why should the spare be part of the rotation? As far as I'm concerned, it's a waste of time. Now you will have five tires to buy when they are all worn out instead of 4. If you happen to have some sort of suspension wear or problem, you affect 5 tires instead of 4. Most manuals will give you a choice and show you how to rotate 4 tires or 5. I'd stick with just rotating the four and leave the spare to be what it was intended to be.....a spare tire.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

I agree. or all 5 are worn totally

That's exactly why I mentioned "full size spare" to the sevice writer, as another posted it was easier for them to give me the BS and indicate I didn't clearly state to the N th degree to include it in the rotation It was easier for me to just move on than debate the fine points of language communications, hell it's just a tire rotation

for those out there that use Earthlink news servers, it's been down a full week now.

Mr. X

Reply to
Ned

I agree. or all 5 are worn totally

That's exactly why I mentioned "full size spare" to the sevice writer, as another posted it was easier for them to give me the BS and indicate I didn't clearly state to the N th degree to include it in the rotation It was easier for me to just move on than debate the fine points of language communications, hell it's just a tire rotation

for those out there that use Earthlink news servers, it's been down a full week now.

Mr. X

Reply to
Ned

Not to overlook the point that 99% of vehicles that do have full sized spares have them on base level steel rims. Doesn't look very nice when you have three aluminum rims and one steel.

Reply to
Steve W.

That is my feeling too, Ian.

When I was young my father had a cheapest in class method of rotating and replacing tires, which ALWAYS left us with two bad tires on the back wheels...

I vowed never to be caught without good tires again.

Reply to
hls

So running directional (or asymmetrical) tires in the wrong direction is no big deal? Mmm-kay...

Swell, but if a "good and honest" shop were to rotate 5 tires on every rotation, they would need to charge more to do so, or lose their proverbial ass. It takes longer to R&R the average spare tire than it does to rotate four tires. So let's say Honestboys Goodtyme RepairCo

*does* charge more to rotate 5 tires. Customers eventually migrate towards the other shops who are rotating 4 (the bastards) and charging a discount or loss-leader price to do so. Overall, these shops are making their profit back on other needed maintenance while not bogging their mechanics down with the silly task of removing loads of s**te from every trunk to get at a spare tire.

Good shops frown on rotating directionals backwards, steel wheels for aluminum, space-saver spares for standard tires, etc. which really narrows down the lot of cars that could even benefit from a proper 5 tire rotation.

My suggestion for shops is to offer both options to every customer (given their vehicle is a candidate for such), but charge accordingly more for the 5 tire rotate. I think that would quell interest really fast while being fair.

Toyota MDT in MO

View this thread:

Comboverfish

Reply to