jeep grinding in park and worse in drive up to 30mph

i have a '98 jeep grand cherokee laredo that started making a grinding sound when the car is started and then continues once in drive up until around 30mph or so and then quiets down. It seems to be in the front from what i can tell. Mysteriously, this was not a problem at all 3 hours ago. Can someone please help. One thing to keep in mind is that the car has been parked for 10 days while i was on R+R. I hope that someone out there can help.

Tony

Reply to
tbills

Check your power steering fluid.

JoBo

Reply to
Jo Bo

Thanks alot. One question. If the power steering fluid is low does that really cause such a terrible grinding sound? It sounds and feels like grinding that i can feel vibrations. Thanks for everything.

Tony

Reply to
tbills

Have you checked your brakes?

Reply to
billy ray

My brakes are brand new. I assume It wouldnt be the brakes since the noise is almost the strongest in park. Let me know what i should consider or do. I am tempted not to drive it if it is very serious. Look forward to any suggestions.

Tony

Reply to
tbills

If it's the 4.0L six cylinder maybe the harmonic balancer is coming apart.

JoBo

Reply to
Jo Bo

Check all your fluid levels including transmission. If there are air bubbles in hydraulic fluid, this will make the host hellish sound you have ever heard. I guess you might call it "grinding".

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

I would be carefully putting my hand on the alternator to see if it is getting smoking hot and I would check the PS fluid. The waterpump can fail, but if it is grinding you should be able to wiggle the pulley when it's off.

The bottom crank pulley can fail and start walking into the timing cover.

I would eyeball the belt from the side to see if everything seems lined up.

Good luck!

Mike

Mike Romain

ok, here is an update. i found that my power steering fluid was low. i filled it up last night and then checked it around 6pm today. IT WAS EMPTY. I noticed that it was just going in and out vias a leak. The fluid leaked and got all over the belt and other things under the hood. Would the sound being made be caused by the steering fluid getting on the belt and not allowing it to turn properly. Any suggestion is good. What should i do to replce the steering fluid container.

Thanks

Reply to
tbills

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Fill it up and watch where it leaks. Use a pan or something to catch the fluid. It's probably the front seal, but it might be a blown hose or even (if you're real lucky) just a loose fitting.

Dan

Reply to
Hootowl

Reply to
bllsht

In article , tbills wrote: #ok, here is an update. i found that my power steering fluid was low. #i filled it up last night and then checked it around 6pm today. IT WAS #EMPTY. I noticed that it was just going in and out vias a leak. The #fluid leaked and got all over the belt and other things under the hood. # Would the sound being made be caused by the steering fluid getting on #the belt and not allowing it to turn properly. Any suggestion is good. # What should i do to replce the steering fluid container. # #Thanks #

Get some UV dye and put it in your power steering fluid. Run it a little bit and see where it glows under a blacklight.

Kinda expensive, but you get 6 bottles:

/herb

Reply to
Herb Leong