jeep plastic turning gray

2001 jeep sport . the wheel well black rock guards and all the other pieces on the jeep are fading to gray....tried 404 armerall and other off the self products ,nothing seems to help..it will last for a week and fade out again. Thinking about some paint, has any one else painted them ... black only.... I know some people will say its a jeep...but I shelled out 20 grand for jeep and the finish should stand up for more the 3 years....
Reply to
Je Ep

L.W.(ßill)

Je Ep did pass the time by typing:

Armorall is death to all plastics, especially painted plastic. Never ever use it.

Formula 303 protectant from a boat, aircraft, or pool/hottub supply store.

Me, I just get used to the grey, it's better than having it fall out. :)

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
twaldron

Throw away your armorall.

I stand with the heat gun crowd. I also have a foot in the paint ring (Krylon Fusion is made for plastic and forms a bond with the plastic. It will not chip off). n.

Reply to
Nathan Otis

I paint every one of mine with a flex paint... will chip off if high pressure hose hits it

Reply to
IsellJeeps!

I painted mine two years ago and they still look good. I went to an auto store and got a plastic prep in aspray can. and then used a black semi gloss. I kept them on I just taped news paper to the body. Rick

Reply to
RJDJCD

F it mine came painted.

Reply to
HarryS

Armor All and the like will actually make matters worse once it wears off. USe a heat gun and they'll pop right back, seems to lift the oily stuff in the plastic to the surface.

Reply to
Jerry McG

How does this hold up? My wife's inner door panels are fading and she wants them painted. I saw that Krylon Fusion at Wally World and was thinking about trying that since her door panels are just black.

-- Old Crow '82 Shovelhead FLT 92" 'Pearl' '95 Jeep YJ Rio Grande ASE Certified Master Auto Tech + L1 TOMKAT, BS#133, SENS, MAMBM, DOF#51

Reply to
Old Crow

Where are you located? I am building my 2001 TJ and all of the stuff you speak of will be for sale . My guards are is great condition, just a few brush marks. E-mail me if your interested. All other body parts will be available including tires, wheels.

Andy

Reply to
Andy

Check out this page for reviews:

Here's what I suggest:

And I agree with all the others - ditch the Armor All - I don't see why everyone uses it. It's crap, especially inside a vehicle. Ever tried to drive a car on a sunny day after someone "tresated" the dash top with Armor All? The glare is incredible.

John Davies

'96 Lexus LX450 '00 Audi A4 1.8T quattro Spokane WA USA

Reply to
John Davies

My two cents worth. I have used Turtle Wax's Black Chrome on my Jeep and Autos since new. It works! BUT, it's getting hard to find. I'm sure there are other products that work fine but Black Chrome is tops and does last a long time. I don't use Armor All either.

Andy

2001 TJ

Andy

I have long held thenotion that ArmorAll is heroin for plastic. Once you start using it, you have to continue using it regularly, or everything it touches turns to crap. It is especially "harmful" if you tend to use too much. Eventually, you can't get enough ArmorAll to keep you happy, and you begin to look for stronger stuff. Sounds just like heroin to me.

What color is ArmorAll?

What color are your fender flares turning?

White is the answer to both of these questions.

Reply to
CRWLR

Just be wary of using a heat gun...what I really mean is that unless you want a really bad headache, and a trip to the ER, don't inhale the fumes....

Reply to
Joseph P

Wally World...HA!..I am not the only one....

Reply to
Joseph P

Take a close look at my email address and see why all my *friends* use the term.

-- Old Crow '82 Shovelhead FLT 92" 'Pearl' '95 Jeep YJ Rio Grande ASE Certified Master Auto Tech + L1 TOMKAT, BS#133, SENS, MAMBM, DOF#51

Reply to
Old Crow

LOL..do you say Target, or Targèt?

Reply to
Joseph P

After reading those reviews, the Mothers Back-To-Black seems like a good product! I went and got some yesterday and will try it/report on it as soon as it stops raining here. I use Son-Of-A-Gun on my interior and it works pretty well, but when the external sun beats on it it breaks down. I'll let you guys know how it turns out-the Mothers was only $4 too. I've had good luck with their waxes before.

Matt

Reply to
Matt