Jeep Pull

I haven't posted in awhile been duck the flame wars and filling my kill file but found this interesting.

Last week some of my friends went out and did a little playing in the woods in all they had a great time. Then the topic came up, which jeep was better a V6 engine or a I6 engine. Well as they usually do the fellas came up with a test.

They hooked a tow strap to an I6 and V6 powered jeep ran the tow strap tight. Once the hat was dropped the dirt flew and there was no contest the I6 jeep pulled the V6 jeep back about 5 feet. Then it was a draw they both sat there slinging mud. It did not matter who drove the I6 beat out the V6 every time. They were both X models

Coasty

Reply to
Coasty

Both had the same gear ratio in trans and axles? Both engines were at the same RPM? Tire sizes identical?

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Gotta ask. Were the tires the same? Not the size, but tread, width and tire pressure. Also was the weight of the two Jeeps the same? One last, was one a automatic trans?

Ineresting pull to hash over a couple of beers but...........

Reply to
Roy

Did the V6 stall or run backwards or did it just not have as much traction or what?

Just saying that "the I6 beat the V6" doesn't tell us much.

Reply to
J. Clarke

As others pointed out there are other factors involved... but it doesn't surprise me one bit, the I6 is a GREAT engine, the V6 is just another motor... not bad a bad engine but nothing special.

Jeff DeWitt

Reply to
Jeff DeWitt

That fits with the nature of the beast. Straight engines are noted for low end power, V engines are noted as highway cruisers.

At least our straight sixes can 'still' run nice at 120 kph or 70 mph where there is no help for the V's lack of low end without serious compromise...

If both were the basic X model like mentioned, it was a fair test.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail > I haven't posted in awhile been duck the flame wars and filling my kill
Reply to
Mike Romain

Fair test? You gotta be kidding. If you're gonna compare engines, everything else has to be the same or the test is worthless. The two engines didn't even come in the same Jeep.

Reply to
bllsht

And was the straight six in fifth gear to make it even? God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@billhughes.com

Reply to
L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

And who's on top of the hill. And who takes the chicken trail. God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@billhughes.com

Reply to
L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

Could not say about gear/tire both were stock an 04 and an 07

Reply to
Coasty

The jeeps were stock X models an 04 and an 07 that was the info that was provided to me.

Reply to
Coasty

Obviously you guys have never driven one of the original Dauntless v6 powered Jeeps if you believe the I6 will out pull a v6 everytime. The Dauntless motor made roughly the same torque (235lb ft @2400rpm) as the old 258 and made it at about the same rpm. With a 50+lb flywheel they will lug at a slow enough engine speed to make you think they died and then rumble back to life. Modern engines are designed to make there power at higher rpms, older motors were designed for lowend grunt. Just to clear up something with the younger crowd, jeep CJ's had a V6 long before they had a straight 6! If you don't believe it, look up a Dauntless V6, you will be quite surprised.

Reply to
ruffmk

Tell me about it: