Jeep TJ know problems?

I'm looking at probably getting a used (1997-2001) Jeep TJ this year and I'm wondering what problems they're known for/things to look for when checking out used ones. Any years in that range to watch out for?

Thanks, lemme know.

Reply to
Bob Jones

Front brake rotors.

Reply to
mark

Is that where they have a thin bit of metal that rusts and cracks?

I had to replace both of mine. I wondered what that clunk was when I hit the brakes. Since then, I can't get rid of the brake squeal with Raybestos pads.

Reply to
Scott in Baltimore

Ceramic pads generally (not always) are quieter and less likely to squeak. I have used Bosch Ceramic Pads on my '02 TJ and I liked them. Lifetime warranty - if they wear out or start squeaking, just take them back to the auto parts store you purchased them from with your receipt (save that receipt) and get a free set.

or Raybestos & Bendix both make ceramic pads

Tom

Reply to
mabar

I had my right front brake rotor come apart on my 97 TJ also. Happened coming to a quick stop in the fast lane on the highway because of an accident....Almost put me in the wall. Other common problems include, but are not limited to

1.) Exhaust manifold cracks (twice) 2.) Track bar 3.) "Death wobble" if tires come out of balance, or are not properly inflated 4.) Trac loc differential will break in rear end if tires spin too much (factory equipped option) 5.) Radiators tend to fail. 6.) Gas guage issues created by sending unit in the gas tank failing.
Reply to
jongig

You forgot the problem with the dash gauges intermittently dying (cutting out) due to a bad connector and or solder joint.

Reply to
noneyabusiness

In 2000 they changed the design of the exhaust manifold to be more resistant to cracking. I hadn't heard the brake rotor issue for TJ's, Grands yes, but not TJ's. I supposed the earlier Grands used the same ones, so I should check mine, but I have had no problems yet.

The front anti sway bar balljoint links tend to fail also.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

I agree, I also replaced my sway bar links twice. When your checking the rotors look at the inside where the part the pads ride on meets the part that goes over the lugs. They tend to rot out there which creates a groove, while the rest of the rotor looks and measures fine.

Reply to
jongig

Scott, you should check to see if a piece of your backing plate is touching your rotor. When mine snapped it damaged the backing plate. I didn't notice it when I first changes the rotors over, and It was squealing. After I pulled the wheel the second time, I noticed a small piece of the backing plate was barely touching on the back side. It wasn't easy to see.

Reply to
jongig

I think the pads may be glazed. It only squeals when cold or I haven't braked in a while. After a few applications, the squeal stops, until it cools again. I used the blue sticky stuff on the back of the pads. I replaced pads and rotors at the same time, thought I broke them in easy, now it squeals cold. I hate that sound! It will be warm soon and I can pull the calipers and take another look. I can always try to rough them up with some emery cloth. (pads and rotors) Maybe I waited too long after spraying the blue goo to assemble?

I used Bowman disc brake squeal silencer No. 19441. It worked great when I changed out the factory pads the first time. The second set needed new rotors. It also worked great on my heavy Chevy. Those pads needed a new set of anti-rattle clips as they had no spring anymore. These Raybestos pads have the clips built in. I like the way that the Jeep rotors don't need bearings pressed and pre-lubed!

Reply to
Scott in Baltimore

If you used Raybestos pads, they might have a "lifetime warranty." Just take them back to the auto parts store you purchased them from and tell them they are squealing. Probably get free replacements. Hope you have your receipt.

Tom

Reply to
mabar

The one thing I wish I had known to look for when I was shopping was the axle & differential. Try to find one with the limited slip Dana 44. In recent years, the factory 30 inch tire package included this set up. Most TJ's will have the open differential Dana 35. CD

Reply to
CD