Jeep won't start after installation of new deck

I have a 89 Wrangler 4.2l that I installed a new CD deck into today. The installation went without a hitch, except for the fact that the wires that connect to the LED light for the alarm (LED doesn't work) broke loose. After hooking everything back up and putting the dash back together, the Jeep would not start. I turned it to the "On" position and everything lights up, radio works, blower works, etc. Turn to "Start" postion, nothing. Not even trying to crank over. In the "On" position the battery is reading around 8 volts, so I tried to jump the Jeep with my Suburban, but had no luck with that either. I am starting to think that my battery is shot or that something with the wires to the LED light for the alarm caused it to flip out. I have not had a need or desire to use the alarm since I purchased the Jeep, so I do not know how it works, only that the person I purchased it from a couple of months ago said that it worked. It is supposed to have a starter disable. The model is a CodeAlarm 707 plus 4.0. I tried messing with the alarm wires a little to see if that was the issue but no luck. I am leaning towards the ignition kill in the alarm as the culprit, but with only 8 volts on the battery, it could be that too. I could not find any info on the alarm online, so I am going to call a car security shop tomorrow to find out more info on it. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Ethan

Reply to
Ethan

Out of curiousity ...did you disconnect the battery during installation or leave it connected? I've seen alarms work in a number of ways. One possibility is the alarm immobilized your starter when it sensed a disconnect at the battery terminal without some prior de-activation procedure. Or, if you left it connected while installing, you may have drained it somehow ...but I'd think a boost would solve that?

I would get out the multimeter and start testing all the wires ...especially your stereo ground wires and your battery/starter wires to see if there's anything happening there.

Reply to
griffin

My alarm is picky and I found out the hard way one morning before work. The night before I had unhooked the battery when installing something. When I hooked it back up the alarm chirped once. I thought nothing of it and put it away in the garage. Next morning the alarm was going off when I opened the door and my remote would not disarm it. I tried starting it with no luck either. Turns out that I needed to use my remote once after hooking the battery back up so that the alarm would re-learn the remote code. Maybe something similar happed to you. The LED wires should have no effect on the alarm's operation unless it happened to blow a fuse, in that case the starter disable is what is preventing your Jeep from starting. The starter disable relay has to have power in order to allow it to start, a security feature in case the alarm power is cut to disable the alarm.

Shawn

Reply to
Endo

I did not disconnect the battery during the installation. There was a inline fuse for the power line, so I pulled the fuse during installation. I did disconnect the battery to repair the power line going to the LED light. As I was reassembling the dash I noticed that a wire was arcing and it was the positive for the LED light. The inside of the wire was stripped near the metal part of the dash causing the arc. I repaired the wire and hooked the battery back up.

Any chance that my battery is just not holding a charge at all or should have jumping the battery override any of that type of issue?

Reply to
Ethan

My first guess is that the alarm system has a starter-bypass circuit to disable the starter when the alarm is set. If the alarm controller was confused, it could think it was still armed, and that would lock out the starter circuit.

Of course, I am assuming you have not cut into the Safety Switch on the clutch.

Reply to
CRWLR

Ethan did pass the time by typing:

Try this. Disconnect the battery ground. Turn all accessories off Turn the headlights off Close the doors Put ignition key in and turn to ON. Connect the battery.

That will tell the alarm system the owner is reconnecting power and will reset the alarm system.

Your going to draw a teeny spark so its safer to set a damp cloth over the battery vents.

Reply to
DougW

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. The issue was the alarm. I got ahold the manufacturer tech support and they directed me how to override the alarm so I could get the jeep started again. I had the alarm removed yesterday.

CRWLR wrote:

Reply to
Ethan Jones

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

I'd like to remove my alarm... Any suggestions? It's got that badass black box tied into my wiring... Nick

Reply to
Nick