Welder dilemma... opinions?

I need a mig welder for the XJ. I want to finish my floors and some future odd jobs might include frame sliders, shock mount relocation, building bumpers etc.

I've narrowed the search down to:

Lincoln SP-135+

SP-135T
135
Handler 140
I've been using the Lincoln 135+ and it's a great machine.... it's almost me-proof. (re: foolproof). Looking for pro's and con's, not biased opinions! Example infinite adjustment vs. pre-sets, automatic wire feed adjustment vs. manual etc.

If anyone has a good source for any or all of these machines to deliver to Canada please include that info.

Thanks,

-Brian

Reply to
Cherokee-LTD

Any of the major welding manufacturers are good it is just personal preference. I have a Lincoln 135 bought it because it was on sale at my local welding supply house got it and the cart, gauges, and gas for $400.00 US. You will not need anything more for body and frame repairs except for a TIG for the real thin stuff. Northern ships to Canada and has some decent prices.

HarryS

Reply to
HarryS

Hi Brian,

Princess Auto has the Italian made Deca on sale for CA$329:

"115V, 20 amp, AC input. 70 amps@ 15% duty cycle. Automatic thermal shutdown protection. 4 heat settings, variable wire speed; live wire trigger. Gas operation only"

Steve

Cherokee-LTD wrote:

Reply to
Steve

Hey Steve, I was at Princess Auto to do a demo on the Deca and they couldn't because they weren't set up for it. I was not impressed by the Deca, it felt really cheap... thin gauge case etc. Also, it won't do flux core.

-Brian

: > I've narrowed the search down to: : >

: > Lincoln SP-135+

> Lincoln SP-135T
> Millermatic 135
> Hobart Handler 140

: > I've been using the Lincoln 135+ and it's a great machine.... it's almost : > me-proof. (re: foolproof). : > Looking for pro's and con's, not biased opinions! Example infinite : > adjustment vs. pre-sets, automatic wire feed adjustment vs. manual etc. : >

: > If anyone has a good source for any or all of these machines to deliver to : > Canada please include that info. : >

: > Thanks, : > -Brian : >

: >

Reply to
Cherokee-LTD

Look at the specs of the Lincoln SP-175 as well. I have been using a 135 for auto body work and it is perfect for that, but I would think that building bumpers or rock-sliders with the 135 may be at it's limit.

Reply to
Rusted

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

I don't need a real welder because I don't have a real Jeep with a real crack through it's real frame. But seriously, I want a machine for relatively light duty use that I can use at home or haul around to the cottage etc. I have a sneaky feeling that I will be doing some dock repairs next year with it and the boathouse only has

110V. I don't think a 300' 220V extension cord is a great idea. If I had your money, I'd get both!

-Brian

: > Hey Steve, : > I was at Princess Auto to do a demo on the Deca and they couldn't because : > they weren't set up for it. I was not impressed by the Deca, it felt really : > cheap... thin gauge case etc. Also, it won't do flux core. : > -Brian

Reply to
Cherokee-LTD

Thanks Rusted, I tend to agree but the 175 is out of my price range and I want to stick to a 110V machine. I included the Hobart machine because of it's higher rating (140) and it claims to weld 1/4" in a single pass. The (possible) downside is the 4 preset voltage outputs vs. infinite control of the SP-135 and Millermatic 135. I don't know if this should be a deal breaker though.

-Brian

: > I've narrowed the search down to: : >

: > Lincoln SP-135+

> Lincoln SP-135T
> Millermatic 135
> Hobart Handler 140

: > I've been using the Lincoln 135+ and it's a great machine.... it's almost : > me-proof. (re: foolproof). : > Looking for pro's and con's, not biased opinions! Example infinite : > adjustment vs. pre-sets, automatic wire feed adjustment vs. manual etc. : >

: > If anyone has a good source for any or all of these machines to deliver to : > Canada please include that info. : >

: > Thanks, : > -Brian : >

: >

: : :

Reply to
Cherokee-LTD

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Won't do flux core?? If you can reverse the polarity you can run any gas MIG unit with flux core.

You w> Hey Steve,

Reply to
RoyJ

Infinite control is nice, 4 step control is quite acceptable with these smaller units. If $$$ is an issue, go with the step control. (Or pick up an infinite control unit on sale if possible)

Look for the duty cycle, it is a good measure of the unit quality. Higher duty cycle= heavier duty transformer. Duty cycle is the weld time in any 10 minute period.

All of the these units will get derated to about the same amperage: In order to get up to the higher ratings, you need to plug them into a 30 amp 120volt circuit. Plugging them into a standard 20 amp circuit derates all of them to about 90 amps or so.

Forget about the rated thickness on any of these 120 volt welders. Anything over 1/8" or so that works well on a 20 amp circuit requires multiple passes. One of the regulars over on sci.engr.joining.welding claims to have done 1" material using one of these welders. Took him most of the day to lay on the multiple passes and wait for the welder to cool off. Doable but completely impractical!

Using flux core requires changing the polarity so the electrode is positive. Look inside to see if the two heavy leads from the transformer can be reversed. You will typically see two heavy leads going to two bolts somewhere near the wire drive assembly.

Using these units with gas gives nicer looking welds. Using these with flux core gives better penetration, works better in windy conditins (outside), and works better on rusty or dirty steel.

Don't even think about aluminum, not enough power.

Cherokee-LTD wrote:

Reply to
RoyJ

before you buy any welder read

if you have anyquestions afterwards feel free to contact me directly.

Reply to
MontanaJeeper

I don't know if you can reverse the polarity... didn't look that close. I seem to remember the maximum wire size being .030, can you get flux core in .030?

: : You won't like the 15% duty cycle. That works out to 90 seconds of weld : time every 10 minutes. :

90 seconds / 10 minutes is about my speed... 10 seconds welding, 3 minutes swearing, repeat as necessary.

Thanks for the tips

-Brian

Reply to
Cherokee-LTD

Good information! From your advice I conclude: Don't let infinite control be the deal breaker for my intended use / level of experience. For comparison pay close attention to duty cycle, less attention to amp ratings or material thickness claims. Reserve flux core for thicker materials, gas for thin gauge and visible welds. These machines will be impractical for an aluminium roll bar ;-)

-Brian

: > : > I've narrowed the search down to: : > : >

: > : > Lincoln SP-135+

> : > Lincoln SP-135T
> : > Millermatic 135
> : > Hobart Handler 140
> : >

: > : > I've been using the Lincoln 135+ and it's a great machine.... it's : > almost : > : > me-proof. (re: foolproof). : > : > Looking for pro's and con's, not biased opinions! Example infinite : > : > adjustment vs. pre-sets, automatic wire feed adjustment vs. manual etc. : > : >

: > : > If anyone has a good source for any or all of these machines to deliver : > to : > : > Canada please include that info. : > : >

: > : > Thanks, : > : > -Brian : > : >

: > : >

: > : : > : : > : : >

: >

Reply to
Cherokee-LTD

Reply to
RoyJ

LMAO that sounds like me playing around with your old unit. I even go to the 10" welding rod = 7" of flashes and stuck electrodes and 3" of welding..

Ohh the joys of re-learning highschool metal shop.. lol

Snow...

Reply to
Snow

You should read Richard Finch's book and especially his comments on wire feed in general. Personally I think everyone should start with oxyacetylene. But that doesn't sell $500 alternators.

A friend of mine built his own alterwelder from a book by Lindsay Publications. It worked as well as he cared for it to since he just wanted to do some temporary tack weld work.

Reply to
Ted Azito