Just bought a 91 YJ...few questions

I just purchased a 91 Jeep Wrangler YJ and I have a few quick questions for any experts out there. It looks like the transmission is going to need work. The YJ is a manual 2.5 liter 4 cylinder. It does some pretty serious grinding when you downshift. Although it does not grind when upshifting. What are my options? I have a 6 cylinder tranny for trade, not sure how I would get anyone interested. Also the light for the speedometer does not seem to work. I would greatly appreciate any insights or help. Thanks.

Reply to
macleans

Sounds like your synchros are worn out.

For now, learn to double-clutch:

When you downshift, put it in neutral and let up on the cluth then blip the throttle to bring the revs up, then reapply the clutch and shift into your desired gear.

That should minimize the grinding.

Reply to
yjarray

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

thanks yj - does this mean the tranny is shot? Any wisdom on the speedometer light? Thanks again for the help.

Reply to
macgraphics

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Spring it over.

Carl

Reply to
Carl Saiyed

Of course, it's a Real Jeep!

Don't tell me you don't carry an extra clutch as a trail spare...

Reply to
yjarray

Bad synchros or a clutch that's not releasing enough?

yjarray wrote:

[original message follows] I just purchased a 91 Jeep Wrangler YJ and I have a few quick questions for any experts out there. It looks like the transmission is going to need work. The YJ is a manual 2.5 liter 4 cylinder. It does some pretty serious grinding when you downshift. Although it does not grind when upshifting. What are my options? I have a 6 cylinder tranny for trade, not sure how I would get anyone interested. Also the light for the speedometer does not seem to work. I would greatly appreciate any insights or help. Thanks. [end original message]
Reply to
Lee Ayrton