Just bought 1995 GC LTD 4.0L Few Newbie questions

Hi All, Just joined the Jeep Family, First question, The Message Center (bottom of Center Console) keeps reverting to 0:00 time and SUN 1 JAN after a day of running, it does not lose the "Miles to service" info though. any advice on how to fix? Haynes manual does not mention it.

  1. The Climate Control system. The heater heats to a certain point (20C) then stabilises no matter how high I turn it it does not increase. Could it be the Thermostat? The AC does not cool either. ( I will be recharging it with freon today).
  2. There is an intermittent Clicking sound (loud plasticky click)coming from the Glove compartment area. at a few minute intervals. Any clue as to what it could be?

  1. I also noticed that the driver's side Carpet is wet, and does not smell like antifreeze, I am stumped on that.

The car has 140000KM and was leaking oil from the valave cover gasket, and a little oil in the air filter, so I changed the CCV valve and the gasket, so all is well there. it runs beautifully !!!

Looking forward to learning more about my ZJ and what fun I can have with it.

Thanks,

Paul

1995 GC Limited 4.0L
Reply to
Paul Tremblay

Welcome Paul, can't help you with any of your ZJ questions but you may want to investigate a windshield leak for the wet carpet. DougW is a ZJ owner in this group and will probably be your new best friend for technical advice!

-Brian

Reply to
Cherokee-LTD

Cherokee-LTD did pass the time by typing:

Yep.. I'm just full of ... er.. information, yea.

sleepy sleepy.

First off, go get the Jeep Service Manual, expensive but invaluable.

Sounds like a bad connector or possible internal error. Run the VIC diagnositcs. Press SET and SELECT at the same time and hold them down. Turn the ignition to ON. (yes, it helps to have three hands)

if it says MODULE FAILURE then something internal is bad.

If not it will beep 6 times and flash all the lamps so you can check them.

After this stops (or anytime), press SELECT and the VIC will test all the sensor and report any problems

You shold eventually see MODULE VERSION ___ note that number.

To exit tests just turn the ignition OFF.

Also check with Jeep to see if there was a Y2K or bugfix for the VIC.

R134a, and don't just dump coolant in there, get the proper tool to deterimine if the level is low and that you have a proper charge. The tool is much cheaper than a blown system.

Under the pannel in the glove box is a relay center for

-----------(hood side)----------------- Security relay | Door lock relay | | Power antenna relay | Horn Relay | Door unlock relay | | Heated rear window | Illuminated entry

Your drain line for the A/C condenser is plugged. The dealership has a TSB for this.

Sounds great.

Welcome to the group.

Reply to
DougW

DougW did pass the time by typing:

Oh.. and down by the A/C is the fan relay.

Noise is hard to trace. Even if you absolutely know it's coming from someplace it may be coming from someplace else. I spent about an hour tracking down a small buzz just to discover it was the button on my winter jacket that was hanging on the back seat. :)

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
attnews

click)coming from

Thanks Doug W, I am still waiting for a owners manual, I changed the thermostat and my Heater has improved considerably, The A/C is also cooling but it seems it may need a freon top up, as it is not blowing very cold. the pies in the engine compartment get very cold to the touch so I dont beleive my noisy compressor is dead yet. I will update on the clicking shortly.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Tremblay

BWAA HA HA HA, I am liking him already, ;-))

Paul

Reply to
Paul Tremblay