Kinda OT.... May have a Jeep Application

Check out this link. These people seem to think they have found the Holy Grail. I just thought it may interesting conversation. This is the same site that talked about the Chevy "Hour Meter" by turning the ignition off and holding the trip reset button. Anyone have this kind of "trickery" on a jeep?

Daren

Reply to
Daren McMorris

By the way these people are talking, you would think that they found the hidden nitrous bottle that Delphi put in their truck.

It is mostly over-enthusiastic wannabe hotrodders claiming that they can "feel" the .005 seconds that they cut off their quarter mile ET's. Facts of the matter:

- The transmission does learn to adapt the shifts by monitoring the amount of time it takes to move from one ratio to the next, and it adapts by gradually increasing line pressure within very strict parameters up to a software-limited maximum.

- Disconnecting the Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor doesn't do anything for performance: the engine is also equipped with a Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) sensor, which the computer uses for fuel calculations when the MAF is disabled, and is also used to monitor MAF performance. One thing that will absolutely happen when you disconnect the MAF and start the engine is that the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) will illuminate. This is probably the only noticeable difference to the driver.

- There is no hidden "Pro Street Drag Racer" fuel calibration in the PCM. There isn't a hidden anything, for that matter. The hour-meter thing has been there for several years, and was added to allow fleets to schedule maintenance. That's all.

This sort of thing has floated around for years. I remember when feedback-controlled carburetors made their debut, the rumor was that if you unplugged the mixture control solenoid, that you would boost horsepower by X%. All that really happened was you went full rich and you got a Check Engine light to come on. If you continued to drive that way, you bought a new catalytic converter to replace the one you ruined. I don't recommend that anyone try to modify their emissions and fuel control equipment on their late model $45,000 pickup truck. Not prudent.

Jerry

Jerry Newton

Wonder if any of those guys have access to a Dyno. n.

Nathan Otis

I'm thinkin' suggestive subliminal persuasion.

Get the 8.1L with the Allison... you get the real feeling from the get go!

As far as the Jeep (4 banger), try MSD, TB spacer, electric fan, K&N, inertia ring, and timing advance!

Just pickin' MAC ;-)

-- JimG

80' CJ-7 258 CID 35" BFG MT on 15x10 Centerlines D44 Rear, Dana 30 Front. SOA 4.56 Gears, LockRight F&R Dana 300 w/4:1 & Currie twin sticks Warn X8000i w/ dual batteries

JimG

Access to a dyno? Come on.....that might add a degree of validity to the "Secret Power Mod"

Daren

Daren McMorris

Not just throttle body spacer.....new bored throttle body. Make sure you poke fun with ALL the facts. :>)

ay;threadid=20281

Reply to
Daren McMorris

L.W.(ßill)

Yeah, I remember my old man calling it "blowing out the cobwebs."

Jerry

Jerry Newton

LOL! you so funny Bill!

We called it "blowing out the carbon".

JimG

JimG

I have the 8.1 w/ Allison in a 2500 truck. I followed the instructions for this power mod to a tee. My conclusion is that this mod will not work with the 8.1. According to the instructions the driver must floor the gas from a dead stop until he/she achieves 60 mph. With the 8.1 you just sit in the same spot smoking the tires. The speedometer reads 58mph while spinning the tires(sitting in the same spot), but that is the best it can do (can't hit

60 in a smokey burnout). The mod will not work if you don't pull out with the gas floored therefore it can't be done with the 8.1

Mrbowtie

This mod doesn't work anyway, so you shouldn't sweat it. It is BS.

Jerry

ay;threadid=20281

Reply to
Jerry Newton

I was being sarcastic. Did you read all the posts those AV people put up? Those guys are nuttier than a fruit cake! I think you explained it best in your previous post. There is no magic trick for BIG horsepower gains period.

> ay;threadid=20281> > >

Reply to
Mrbowtie

I was being sarcastic. Did you read all the posts those AV people put up? Those guys are nuttier than a fruit cake! I think you explained it best in your previous post. There is no magic trick for BIG horsepower gains period.

> ay;threadid=20281> > >

Reply to
Mrbowtie

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

You mean... That that little magnetic dohickey that I strapped to my fuel line doesn't really align all the molocules for better combustion and it really won't make my jeep run faster and jump higher?

Damn.

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

For those that know you there is no doubt that this is a TALL tail. You are so tight that you have your mileage calculated as it relates to the odometer AND the RPM's. So spinning the tires will blow your mileage and take life from your tires. Not only that, but your are tarnishing the name of the news group when you won't take your Jeep out to a MAJOR ride because, and I quote..."The roads will be covered in Salt. Do you know what that will do to my body?".

Daren

ay;threadid=20281

Reply to
Daren McMorris

I have an old timey jeep, one that was built before they knew what things were like galvanize (which they have on newer jeeps like 95 wranglers by the way!). Yours is protected from the salt mine is not. When I drive my 23 year old rig in the salt I can hear it rust. Driving in WV with all the salt they use on the roads is cruel and unusual punishment for any CJ.

-- Jason A

81 Scrambler 360 CID AMC NP435 Tranny with Dana 300 4" Skyjacker w/SOA

> ay;threadid=20281> > >

Reply to
Mrbowtie

We call it the "Italian tuneup"