Water on the carpet in my CJ

Guys, need an idea here. MY CJ is getting progressively worse about leaking water through the ventilation system when it rains. The drain is clear (I've checked and cleared it a bunch of times.). I have found what I think is the problem but the cure is going to be a PITA. The airbox above the heater has a seam running around it where the top and bottom halves meet. It looks like water is leaking in from between the halves. I had my daughter run the hose outside while I checked it from the inside and I'm 98% sure that is the source. So here are my 2 questions.

  1. Has anyone ever had this problem before or something like it that turned out to be something else?
  2. Without tearing everything out above the heater assy, does anyone have a suggestion? I've thought of going to home despot and buying some flexible rubber membrane roof sheathing then using it to seal the seams from inside the plenum...

Thoughts, comments?

Rich Harris

Reply to
Rich

jeff

That's fine to drain the floorboards, but I get s shower everytime I drive inthe rain and I don't live in southern California anymore. New England is famous for its rain.... I need to stop the leaks not add to them.

Reply to
Rich

I would go for a small can of roofing membrane, the one you can roll or brush on. maybe as a second choice, some butyl caulk I could maybe get my finger to spread on the seam from the top.

Other than that, the windshield or it's frame gasket can leak into the defrost duct....

The windshield frame gasket can also leak down the back of the dash.

Mike

Mike Romain

I went and looked again and also found the holes where the vent cover screws go in are leaking. I got a tube of GE silicon 2 outdoor sealant and gouped the screws and the seams. Once it dries I'll give it another test. Right now I have the dash completely off which made it easier to check for leaks. If this doesn't work, the whole shooting match is coming out and I'm going to reseal everything down to the knat's ass. It will be a real pain but I'm thinking it will be the best solution. The windshield rubber is relatively new and is holding fine. I have a good seal there.

Also when I'm done I'll post pics of the new dashboard. I though it would be a piece of cake, but making sure everything is arranged so it can be seen AND fit within the constraints of the stuff behind the dash is proving to be a challenge. I'm going to make a cardboard mock-up before actually cutting metal.

Reply to
Rich

There was a reason I mentioned butyl caulk...

Unfortunately GE silicone cures for years while putting out acetic acid fumes. When these fumes contact water, they eat steel. They eat it really well. I have seen more vinyl tops that were repaired with silicone peel the whole roof off when a real repair was finally needed than not. Same for windshields, the whole frame edge come out with the glass if installed with silicone.

Someone on this group was involved in testing the outgassing of silicone for the space program, and it failed due to never stopping to outgas.

The acetic acid fumes will also 'instantly' kill an O2 sensor. I know folks that have fried the O2 sensor by just using silicone on the front differential cover.

They do make some types of RTV silicone that is 'sensor safe' now a days.

Mike

Rich wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Wow! Thanks Mike. I didn't know that. I'll change gears on that real quick. I actually have changed my mind and am going to rip the whole ventilation system out, take it apart and regasket/seal everything. I might as well do it right than have to do it again in a year. My old CJ is around to stay. I've been an off and on reader/poster here for about 8 or 10 years but lately I've just lost interest with all the junk that comes onboard. Glad to see some of the old posters are still around.

Reply to
Rich

What are you using for a heater blower motor?

Ok, are you the person I think with the link to cutting the blower motor hole for the big GM blower motor before I go into how much better it is??

Mike

Rich wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

I don't have a link to it (no website), but I did the mod years ago. Well worth the time and money spent. Everyone with a CJ should have it. Rich

Reply to
Rich