M-151 Mutt / Jeep

I quickly found out that the best way to sync multiple SU's was to set them up properly once. Then replace the !#@$!@#$ original equipment jets with ones that didn't leak at the hose coupling. Then set them up again. Then use very light oil or better tranny fluid in the dashpots. Then leave the damn things alone and go fix the even more crappy ignition before laying a finger on the carbs. The japanese versions on the old Datsun 2 litre 4 banger were pretty much a set and forget type--unlike the MG, the TR Spitfire, the TR4, the Jag [have I mentioned I tend to repeat mistakes yet?] etc.

Mike Romain proclaimed:

Reply to
Lon

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

I had a boss who had one which would break down every other day. I fixed it for him one lunchtime in a client's carpark so we could get home ; the bastard wrote on my review form for the assignment that I had "oil under my fingernails". If I ever see that MGB again, I'm doing to drive my Waggy right over the top of it..

Dave Milne

he would have got my feet in his A.....

--

-- LE CLONE

279 Notre-Dame Gatineau, Qc J8P 1K6 (819) 643-0511 SANS FRAIS 1 888 643 0511 NOUVEAU REVENDEUR AUTORISEE SERVICE INTERNET

snipped-for-privacy@leclone.com

Patrick

Hey Bill, sorry to take so long getting back to this, had to do a little reaserch :).

First off, I did see the website you posted. I'd have to say I'm a little leary about *Thier* accuracy. The part where they say the original developement contract was let out in 1950 as a replacement was required for the M38A1 seems a little suspect as the A1 didn't enter service until '52-'53 somwheres. I do seem to recall that the

151's were unibody construction, certainly the one we had in our unit when I was in the military had a pronounced bend in the middle from someone getting a little too enthusiastic about jumping a ditch with it :). Can't see that it would look quite the way it did with body-on-frame construction. Here's a picture of one from underneath,

Now I did contact my wife's second cousin's husband about all this as he owns a 151A2 that he's in the process of restoring. Just for the record he's a machinst working for Pratt & Whitney where he earns a living turning hunks of titanium into PT6 turbine wheels, so I'm assuming he knows the difference between titanium, aluminum & steel. He tells me he's heard that some all aluminum 151s were built for airborne use (or maybe he's thinking of the Mighty Mite

but the vast majority were built of steel, certainly not titanium.His certainly makes an excellant storage system for refrigeratormagnets ;>.

For the engine, his is definately a Ford. A couple of web pages list two other engines (maybe earlier versions?), a Continental with a downdraft carb & a Hercules with the side draft. I can't comment on the carb in the picture as I have no experience with British or other european carbs. but doing a Google on M151+carburetor brings back links that seem to idicate the carbs are Zeniths. Yup, it looks strange alright, but to me so does the right angle doo-hickey one on the M38A1. Maybe the Mutt uses a British Ford engine (Cosworth Mutt?!? WOOHOO!!!) but I'm suspecting the reason it looks funny is the design requirement for it not to leak water inside whilst submerged :(.

Commnets?

H.

Reply to
Howard Eisenhauer

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

The Jag 3.8 S had a somewhat similar failure mode that would have spawned massive lawsuits today. Took a used one on a test drive and as soon as it warmed up it headed for the redline--which is a bit more of a pucker factor in a Jag than in an MG.

Never used oil in my 'B, stretched the springs and ran ATF in them.

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III proclaimed:

Reply to
Lon
*Blush*

I hate to say it but I never even noticed some body had snuck an axle in there! I was fixating on the frame, or lack of :(. You are of course absoulutely correct about the independant suspension. Turns out that the photo in the link was of a one-off prototype that was built as a possible cure for handling problems of the first two versions, they decided to go with the trailing arms instead on the A2s.

But I still don't think they had any titanium in'em :).

H.

Reply to
Howard Eisenhauer

Reply to