More light from an XJ?

The passenger fog lamp has kicked the bucket on my 00 XJ. The lense is bashed to pieces from an attack rock launched by a semi truck. The driver's side one still works fine. I find that the stock fogs are not bright enough for my taste. Can anyone reccomend an aftermarket fog light that I can mount in the factory positions and use the factory switch and relay? What about a set of Hella 4 or 6" lamps mounted on the bumper. Can the factory wiring, relay, and switch handle that?

Also, is there a way to by-pass the brights-cut off in the fogs? There are times when the brights AND the fogs would be helpful - to get as much light as I can.

I'm assuming the headlamp bulbs are stock on my Cherokee. Is there an aftermarket bulb availible that will produce more/brighter light without blinding other motorists or making me look like a boy racer? I used Napa premium lights in my '91 Tercel and was mildly satisfied.

Thanks,

Carl

Reply to
Carl

I've been using Sylvania high output halogens for years and they work great. Noticeably more light than the standard lamps and not that much more expensive.

Those bulbs give my XJ the second best lights I've had in any vehicle.

Oddly the best is the same bulbs (only round) in my Studebaker pickup. I'm not sure if it's because the round bulbs give a better pattern or if it's because the truck sits up a bit higher.

Now getting your high beams to work with your fog lights might result in you have a conversation with a law enforcement officer about your vehicle lighting choices.

Jeff DeWitt

Carl wrote:

Reply to
Jeffrey DeWitt

Jeff,

Thanks for the reccomendation. Of course, I would only use a high beam and fog lamp on combinaton in off-road situations, never on the highway.

Carl

Reply to
Carl

I got a set of the aftermarket glass headlamp units where I installed

90/100w H4 xenon bulbs.

When I sold the XJ I gave them to a friend who still runs them, the light output is significantly more than the 55/60w stockers and I never noticed any glare problem back when I had them or now when my neighbor has them.

Reply to
billy ray

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Not in Ohio. In Ohio, it's perfectly legal to run high-beams and fogs together, as long as there is no on-coming traffic.

Tom

Reply to
mabar

I just installed a pair of H6024XV, Sylvania Xtra-Vision, Halogen Headlights on my '06 Wrangler.

They seem to be brighter than the Wagner Halogen Headlights that came stock on my '06 Wrangler. They also have a better light pattern, throwing more light to the sides and foreground.

I had Sylvania Silverstars on my '02 Wrangler, and these Sylvania Xtra-Vision seem brighter than the Silverstars. It sure seems like they have a better light pattern than the Silverstars.

According to the Sylvania website, H6024XV are 55/65 watt bulbs. The Silverstars are 45/55 watt bulbs. The Silverstars are "whiter" but the XV's seem to be brighter to me

Tom

Reply to
mabar

Here is how you do it in a Wrangler. Not sure if this applies to an XJ.

Tom

Reply to
mabar