Need plugs for my TJ What brand?

Trying to squeeze a few extra miles out of a tank of gas. What would be a good choice of brand for plugs? Thanks all Jimmy

Reply to
Jimmy

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Reply to
attnews

The first time I replaced the spark plugs in my year 2000 TJ 4.0L I used the factory recommended plug ( RC12ECC ) which I bought at the dealer. These are CHAMPION brand copper plus. The next time I changed the plugs I put in BOSCH PLATINUM FR9HP the single electrode type. I still get instant start ups and throttle response and smooth idle. I can't tell if they improve mileage but they did not hurt my mileage. I trust they may stay cleaner because the platinum electrode imbedded in the porcelain insulator tip is very small like the shaft of a pin. So all the sparking has to jump to that one spot only. I've been running this plug for a year, November 05 I will change plugs again just prior to the mandatory smog test. If the plugs condition on removal next year is ok, I will replace them with the same type again.

For better mileage keep your tire pressure up and slow down. My TJ feels best travel> Trying to squeeze a few extra miles out of a tank of gas.

Reply to
Brian Hawke

I don't know about the current Champion plugs but it used to be they were the most seizeprone brand due to the surface finish they used. We avoided them for this reason. I would use the correct amount of antiseize compound especially with Champion plugs.

I'm a little out of the spark plug world. Real offroad vehicles don't have spark plugs.

Reply to
Ted Azito